Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPad Air work well as a reader?

I am going to purchase an E-reader. I am wondering how well the iPad Air or Air2 work for downloading and reading books and magazines. I am an iPhone user and am familiar with Apple products. I would use the tablet primarily for reading, not photography or videos.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 2.2GH, OS 10.6.8

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:52 PM

My iPad 3 works fine as a reader and is heavier than the Air. I have a mixture of books from Amazon and Apple so it is nice having both apps on one device.

If you are a beach reader it will not be as good as some other readers due to glare from the sun. In that case go with one of the paper white readers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 12:52 PM in response to mdamario

My iPad 3 works fine as a reader and is heavier than the Air. I have a mixture of books from Amazon and Apple so it is nice having both apps on one device.

If you are a beach reader it will not be as good as some other readers due to glare from the sun. In that case go with one of the paper white readers.

Feb 5, 2016 12:52 PM in response to mdamario

I have an iPad Air I often use for reading. As deggie mentions, it's nice to be able to access both Amazon and iBooks on one device. I do also have a Kindle Paperwhite. It's not as nice for reading magazines but, it's very nice for reading books, especially in the sun and has amazing battery life. But, it's less useful overall as I can't do web searches, play the occasional game, check my email, keep my journal, watch a movie, all the other things I do on my iPad.

Does the iPad Air work well as a reader?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.