Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everytime I add several or even just one trac to my iphone it takes several minuts "PREPARING TO UPDATE"

Hi Everyone..
Every time I add several [or even just one] track from my iTunes library to my iPhone it takes several minuets "PREPARING TO UPDATE" then it proceeds to copy the tracks I wanted along with 900 or so tracks and several videos I did not ask it to update... can anyone explain why this is happening?
I think I have all the auto update features disabled, and I don't use the cloud or the new music thingy.

Thanx!

Fredy

iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:35 AM

The following steps should resolve issues around syncing, assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

N.B. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

tt2

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Fredy

The following steps should resolve issues around syncing, assuming all of the content you want is in your library.

(If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device)

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

N.B. A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

tt2

Feb 10, 2016 6:01 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi turingtest2

Sounds like a lot of work and I'm hoping it's not necessary to start all over again and again!.
I have read some alternate corse of action and I was wondering what you think about this link http://robservatory.com/a-nasty-little-itunesios-bug-may-be-causing-media-sync-i ssues/comment-page-2/

As always thank s for your king assistance

Fred

Feb 11, 2016 8:35 AM in response to Fredy

I have had the same symptoms with greyed out stalled transfers. and I know my library is duplicate free. The steps I gave above aren't that complicated and as a bonus you get an archived snapshot of the current state of the device. As it is iTunes normally has a single rolling backup for each device and it is always possible for you to update the backup before realizing there is something that you need to recover.

tt2

Feb 11, 2016 8:34 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi

I don't think I said it was complicated but i said a lot of work, In any case I have an update on my situation, It just gets weirder all the time. This morning I had a similar experience as described previously where iTunes wants to update roughly 900 files even though I only wanted to add one or two tracks to my iPhone from My PC's library. But this time I had not asked iTunes to copy anything to my phone. I just connected it via USB and I was deciding what tracks to add to the phone but instead I decided to eject the Phone using the small eject arrow in iTunes but iTunes notified me that I might want to reconsider ejecting since my phone was being updated! When I looked at the indicator at the top of the iTunes window sure enough it showed "UPDATING 1?? of 900". I waited for iTunes to finish UPDATING so it would allow me to eject the phone and then I checked which tracks iTunes said were no longer on the phone and then I ejected it. But then when I looked for those same tracks on the phone they are there! Is it possible this is always the case and nothing is actually being deleted?

Thanks!

Fred

Feb 11, 2016 10:20 AM in response to Fredy

I said a lot of work.

So you did. Perhaps I paraphrased incorrectly. There are only 3 steps, each of which are quite quick to implement from your perspective, although the time they take to run on your computer will be a function of the size of your library, number of apps, and the amount of data stored on the device. The final restore of my 128Gb iPhone took several hours last time I did it (December, Siri had become useless and couldn't play music on request), but I was asleep so it didn't bother me much.

If your library has many duplicates then they are a potential issue as pointed out in that article. I've seen it myself in the past. See this post on duplicates for advice on clearing those.

Under Edit > Preferences > Devices there is an option to prevent automatic syncing of devices which you might find useful.

tt2

Everytime I add several or even just one trac to my iphone it takes several minuts "PREPARING TO UPDATE"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.