Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro, iOS 9.2.1 with Smart Keyboard - the App Wheel stops working

Hi Gang,

I have a doozy one to inquire about - I have been observing this issue since my iPad Pro arrived in November. Long story short, I have an issue with the Smart Keyboard and the App Wheel that manifest itself after prolonged use in either of the following scenarios:

1. When the command-tab keystroke is activated the App Wheel (or the app switcher for the iOS multitasking functionality) does not show up, indefinitely. Say, I have a few apps running and I spend some time working with one and then I want to switch to a new one. I am no longer able to do that as the iPad seems to ignore the command-tab shortcut. However, the app-specific shortcuts work perfectly fine. A quick glance at the Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard section confirms the keyboard as recognized and active. The only workaround that I have been able to implement at this point is to physically detach and re-attach the keyboard; until the next time, that is.

2. If the aforementioned does not occur, I get a weird App Wheel behaviour; say, I have five apps open. My lefthand-most one is my (currently) active one and I want to get to the righthand-most one (the one least used). The App Wheel will let me select (highlight) the app I want to get to with the command-tab keystroke but... will take me to the very one before; in our example this would be the second app from the right (the fourth one on the list of open apps). If I repeat the step it will take me to the third one, so on, so forth. Again, a quick glance at the Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard section and I can see the keyboard as recognized and active. Naturally I never end up being able to select the app that I wish to activate. The only workaround to (temporarily) resolve the issue is to power-cycle the device.

I have been having this issue since 9.1.2 and with iOS 9.2 being the worse (it was consistent, on a daily basis). With iOS 9.2.1 it's more sporadic, but still still there. I have reviewed the logs and found an MAUpdate log created every single time the either one of the issues occur. Every single log contains the following sections that are repetitive:

{"error_domain":"com.apple.MobileAsset.MobileAccessoryUpdate.KeyboardCoverFirmwa re","plugin_name":"com.apple.MobileAccessoryUpdater.StandaloneHIDFudPlugins","os Version":"iOS 9.2.1 (13D15)","error_code":15,"datestamp":"2016-02-04 21:40:02 -0700","machineConfig":"iPad6,8","accessory_device_class":"com.apple.mau.plugin .standalonehiddevice.keyboard","bug_type":"182"}

9:39:57 PM fud[302] <Notice>: Persisted state machine restored to state FUD_STATE_DO_LOCALCHECK

9:39:57 PM fud[302] <Notice>: Resuming fud...

<truncated>

9:40:02 PM fud[302] <Notice>: Preparing error report for: Error Domain=com.apple.MobileAsset.MobileAccessoryUpdate.KeyboardCoverFirmware Code=15 "Asset with max _ContentVersion of 846 is not installed locally" UserInfo={PluginName=com.apple.MobileAccessoryUpdater.StandaloneHIDFudPlugins, NSLocalizedDescription=Asset with max _ContentVersion of 846 is not installed locally, DeviceClassName=com.apple.mau.plugin.standalonehiddevice.keyboard}

The Firmware Code 15 is a consistent item in the logs. Either one of the scenarios can occur while working or waking the device with the Smart Keyboard. I have contacted Apple Support on this and they confirmed that they had never heard of it.

Is there anyone who has been experiencing similar issues with the Smart Keyboard and the App Wheel? So far, I have found one individual on iMore forums with similar problem (scenario #1).

I'll appreciate your comments.

Thank you & have a good one!

Message was edited by: michaeommaslowski Typo removed

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 9.2.1, Loving it!

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:52 AM

8 replies

Feb 24, 2016 10:54 AM in response to Ali Shafai

Hey Ali et al.,

My issue has been escalated to, reportedly, top level of Apple Technical Support with Engineers involved. I was advised that the issue would be resolved by either an update patch, or KB article.

Today I downloaded the newly released Smart Keyboard firmware; on odd side, I received an update notification about iOS 9.2.1 that I had already installed on my iPad at the beginning of February. This appears to be more complex issue, assuming both updates were to resolve the issue.

I will carry out testing to see if that has rectified my issued.

Ali, how is your device performing?

Thanks.

Feb 25, 2016 4:04 PM in response to Ali Shafai

Hey Ali,

Thank you for your reply. As of today & after extensive testing I cannot confirm that the issue has been resolved. It is still happening for me, and like with you, it's quite easy to "overwhelm" the app wheel. I am getting the same error logs created with the exact same errors produced.

At this point it looks that it is not going to be an easy fix; I will need to investigate my warranty options as at this point I cannot consider the device reliable (I use the keyboard quite a lot).

Thanks!

Mar 3, 2016 10:44 AM in response to Ali Shafai

Hey Ali,

After contacting Apple Support and presenting my case I was told (reportedly, confirmed by Apple's Engineering Team) that iOS 9.3 will resolve this issue, once and for all. I find it somewhat surprising, as my impression was that the Smart Keayboard firmware update along with iOS 9.2.1 re-install were specifically aimed at fixing this very problem. Since there is an official recommendation on my case by one of Apple Engineers at this point I can only wait and see if the issue is resolved after that update. Naturally, I requested to exercise my warranty rights if that update proves unsuccessful; I will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Apr 6, 2016 10:37 AM in response to Ali Shafai

Hi Ali,

After thoroughly testing my iPad Pro with 9.3 and 9.3.1 (both set as new iPads) I can confirm that the issue is resolved (finally!). Sporadically, I will get the app wheel "overwhelmed", but unlike the previous revisions, I can restore its functionality by activating cmd-tab again.

I am a happy camper now. I hope you have good news to report as well.

Cheers!

iPad Pro, iOS 9.2.1 with Smart Keyboard - the App Wheel stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.