Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What was the last G5 model to be produced?

Hello everyone,

I currently have Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, 2.5 GB with Creative Suite 4 on it.

I am trying to work out what a reasonable upgrade of machine would be so that I could happily run CS6. I can not install CS6 on Mac OS 10.5.8, which is the last operating system that can be installed on a PowerPC G5.

Could someone please tell me what the last G5 model to be produced is? If you know the answer to this and additionally what operating systems can be installed on it, even better!

Kind regards,

Adam

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, 2.5 GB

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 10:44 AM

7 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:44 AM in response to Adam Simpson5

Looks like a G5 will be of no help with CS6...

Mac OS

• Multicore Intel® processor with 64-bit support
  • Mac OS X v10.6.8 or v10.7
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 2GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash-based storage devices)
  • 1024Ă—768 (1280Ă—800 recommended) resolution display with 16-bit color and 256MB (512MB for Extended) of VRAM
  • OpenGL 2.0-capable system
  • DVD-ROM drive

http://prodesigntools.com/products/adobe-cs6-system-requirements.html

Feb 11, 2016 2:40 PM in response to Klaus1

Hello and thanks for the replies.

I thought that 10.5.8 was the latest Mac OS for a PowerPC G5 only, and that perhaps the dual core/quad core G5s would take a later Mac OS, but never mind, it sounds as though I'd be better off buying a more modern Mac anyway if I want to run CS6.

Apologies that I'm now straying away from the G5 topic, but can someone recommend an Apple Mac model which could happily cater for

I've only been using G5s and don't even know what models came after that. I'm happy to buy another older model, so long as I can get CS6 on it!

Thank you everyone.🙂

Adam

Feb 22, 2016 2:30 AM in response to BDAqua

Hello BDAqua,

Thanks for your help as ever.

I didn't actually realize that the Mac Pro was a separate model from the G5! I thought that all Macs with 'that look' were G5s. Goes to show how old G5s actually are nowadays!

I remember now, at the time when I got my first G5, going to the shops and seeing the latest iMacs on display (from the photos on those links). I currently still have my refurbished Dual 2.3 GHz G5 which works fine, but I'm looking ahead to consider buying a second machine, sort of in case my current one ends up letting me down! I think an iMac or Mac Pro will be the way forward for me.

Thanks very much,

Adam

What was the last G5 model to be produced?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.