Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my power cord will charge the computer only when i hold it tightly to the computer

Macbook Pro 2009 model - I have gone thru 3 power cords now just in the last months - now it can charge the unit only if I twist the end a small amount and keep pressure on it...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 10:51 AM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2016 12:57 PM in response to KimUserName

No the problem did not go away - well it seemed that for both of the new cords they worked for a while - maybe a month, and then started causing problems. I thought perhaps I got the wrong wattage, so I figured that out and got the 60W one. It worked for a while and now is problematic again. I liked the video - it seems like it has a staple in it because when I tilt the connector a bit to one side or press on the back part of it, it will start charging. The light may be on at times, but no charge. Or the light may switch from green to red. Or off. I wonder if the cord I bought - that looks like new - off Amazon - does not have the factory made connector - because it wobbles a bit inside the receptical. But it looks like the normal L style connector. But when I borrowed someone elses cord today it worked perfectly!

Feb 5, 2016 1:47 PM in response to dnrbum

Hi Dnrbum:

Sounds like you have identified the problem to be your power adapter.

I think it is best to buy an official apple power supply, especially with all the problems you have been having. The magsafe connector has some moveable pins inside and if they stick it can also cause problems.

Here is a link for the power supplies. Find the right power adapter and cord for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

my power cord will charge the computer only when i hold it tightly to the computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.