Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New AirPort Extreme - wifi not working even though internet works through a wired connecction

I bought an Airport Extreme, but set up is not working (amber light blinks). Internet works through a wired connection to the back of the Airport Express, so I know I have connectivity. Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:15 AM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:44 AM in response to RTMaynes

I bought an Airport Extreme

Got that

but set up is not working (amber light blinks)

Got that

wifi not working

Not sure if this means.....

You can "see" the wireless signal, but not connect

or

You can connect to the wireless signal, but cannot get an Internet connection

or

You cannot even "see" the wireless signal at all?

Can you clarify on that?

Internet works through a wired connection to the back of the Airport Express

So, does this mean that you are connecting the AirPort Extreme to an AirPort Express that is already set up and working?

Do you want configure the AirPort Extreme to continue to connect to the AirPort Express using a wired Ethernet cable connection?

If not, are you saying that you want the AirPort Extreme to connect to the AirPort Express using a wireless connection?

To offer suggestions, we would need to know what operation system you are using on your Mac to set things up. Can you provide that information?

Feb 5, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for your prompt reply. I got an answer to the problem. I had to go into settings and use the Airprt setup app on my phone. Apparently you don't need a wifi connection to set the router up. I had previously downloaded the Airport Utility app to my phone (via cellular), but I'm not sure if that is required. The setup guide basically says to plug in the router and wait for the light to turn green. Well that can't happen until you do the setup on your iPhone/iPad . Incredibly frustrating and poorly written instructions.

Feb 5, 2016 12:26 PM in response to RTMaynes

The setup guide basically says to plug in the router and wait for the light to turn green.

No, it doesn't. You got off track somewhere. Here is what the Setup Guide says....(page 12)

To set it up:

1. 1 Open AirPort Utility, located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.
  2. 2 Select your AirPort Extreme and click Continue. If you don’t see the AirPort Extreme you want to configure, choose it from the Wi-Fi status menu in the menu bar.
  3. 3 Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new network or extend an existing network

If you have a newer operating system installed on your Mac, you won't see "Continue" when you open up AiPort Utility. The instructions go on to say that if you don't see the AirPort Extreme in AirPort Utility......(you won't if you are using a newer operating system)......then you need to choose the AirPort Extreme from the WiFi menu......like this:

User uploaded file

When you click on the AirPort Extreme, that will open up the setup "wizard" to walk you through the setup, starting with a screen that looks similar to one below, except that it displayed the picture of the AirPort Extreme

User uploaded file

The Setup Guide goes on to say that if you want to set up the AirPort Extreme using an iPhone or iPad.......which is what you did......

To set it up: 1 Tap Settings on the Home screen, then tap Wi-Fi. 2 Tap the name of your AirPort Extreme. 3 Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new network or extend an existing network.

The same screen as above would have opened up when you tapped on AirPort Extreme.

User uploaded file

Not sure where you became confused during the setup, but glad that you got things going.

New AirPort Extreme - wifi not working even though internet works through a wired connecction

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.