Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband looking for unconnected network drive

When I take my laptop away from my home network and open Garageband, it takes a long time to open and then gives an error message saying that it cannot find a NAS drive (that is installed in my home network).

If I hit OK, then I can use Garageband, but if I try to use Share, or even if I just mouse over the Share menu item, the application gives me the spinning beach ball and eventually pops up the message again that it cannot find the network drive. It's pretty much impossible to export the song because when I click to dismiss the popup message, the Share menu dropdown also disappears.

I don't know why Garageband is looking for the network drive. I've tried trashing preferences and restarting; I've even uninstalled Garageband and reinstalled it (when I was not at home).

Obviously, when I'm at home and can access the network drive, this doesn't happen. But it's very inconvenient when I'm recording somewhere else.

It's something to do with my user, because if I log in using a different account, the behavior doesn't occur.

Help?

Garageband 10.1.0

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:27 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:51 AM in response to debito

When I take my laptop away from my home network and open Garageband, it takes a long time to open and then gives an error message saying that it cannot find a NAS drive (that is installed in my home network).

GaregBand is always trying to open the last project you opened.

When you are not connected to the NAS you are using at home try to launch GarageBAnd by double clicking a project that is on your local drive.

Feb 5, 2016 1:51 PM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

GaregBand is always trying to open the last project you opened.

When you are not connected to the NAS you are using at home try to launch GarageBAnd by double clicking a project that is on your local drive.

I always save all of my garageband projects on the local drive. What you suggested did not have any effect, sadly. Thanks for the advice though.

Feb 5, 2016 2:41 PM in response to léonie

I have discovered the problem. Garageband is looking for my iTunes library, which is located on the NAS drive. I keep a "portable" copy of my iTunes library on a flash drive. When I connected that flash drive and pointed iTunes at it, then Garageband opens with no problem.

Learned something new ... Garageband has a dependence on iTunes. Shouldn't be a surprise, I guess.

Garageband looking for unconnected network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.