Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New SSD, Mac Mini Disk Utility will not load old HD or External Drive

I just replaced the original Toshiba HD in my Mid 2010 Mac Mini with a 1TB Crucial SSD.

I formatted and clean installed OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 from a boot installer drive. My firewall is open.

I am trying to use the Migration Assistant to move files from the old Toshiba HD (connected with a USB universal drive adaptor) or my external time capsule backup drive (connected with via USB) and neither are being loaded by the Disk Utility. I get an endless spiral graphic and "Loading Disks." with no result after a reasonable time waiting.

I connected a different external HD (A Seagate 1TB SSD) via USB and it was recognized.

Any help with getting these drives to connect would be most appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:08 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 12:58 PM in response to lllaass

I agree. I think the issue is with the removed drive since the USB ports work for other devices. But the I have the same issue (no recognition by the Mini) of both the removed internal drive and the time capsule drive. Since this is happening with two drives that had made up the original system, I suspect that there is some legacy setting (for lack of better word) that is attached to these drives that make them unrecognizable post new OS X and drive installation?

New SSD, Mac Mini Disk Utility will not load old HD or External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.