Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the latest version of iMovie still support tags?

Does the latest version of iMovie still support tags? I cannot find any reference to them in the on-line documentation.

If tags are not supported, is there any sort of work-around?

Thanks for your help!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:05 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:52 AM in response to deomedea

By "tags", I assume that you mean Chapter Markers, that let you jump from Chapter to Chapter forward and back through a movie without the necessity

of using the impossibly slow fast forward/back function.

If that's what you mean, then, no, iMovie 10.1.1 does not support Chapters. However, you can add chapters by moving your movie to Garage Band and putting them in there, or by adding them in iDVD before burning. In Garage Band you can add the chapters precisely where you want them, whereas in iDVD the Chapters can only be inserted by time intervals, e.g, one every 3 minutes, one every 2 minutes, etc.

Aside from the above, you can add Markers to your time line for editing purposes by tapping the "m" key on your keyboard. But these are place markers, not chapter markers.

Feb 5, 2016 2:18 PM in response to deomedea

O.K. I see what you mean.

The closest thing I can think of is the View>Sort clips by>Name or Date or Duration function. You can activate that menu item by clicking on iMovie Library

in the display pane to the left. May not be what you want.

Otherwise, I defer to others who may respond to your post.

Good luck with this.

Feb 5, 2016 3:38 PM in response to deomedea

deomedea wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply. Unfortunately it does not answer my question. I'm afraid I was not explicit enough. By "tags" I meant words like "seaside", "Christmas", "birthdays", "cats", etc., which would enable me to group together, as in Photos.app, scenes of a like nature.

To the best of my knowledge, iMovie has never had that facility.

Does the latest version of iMovie still support tags?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.