Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging problem with MacBook Air

My MacBook Air 11" 2013 model will not charge or even recognize a 45 watt MagSafe2 Charger, however it will (at the local apple service provider) recognize and charge using the 85 watt MagSafe2 charger. As I live in Bermuda it takes 14 business day to get anew charger (45 watt) which I know will not solve the problem. After that they will order a MagSafe board to see if that resolves the issue (another 2 week wait). It is still covered under the apple car so my only issue is the long period to get replacement warranty parts. I can just go buy a new 85 watt charger and see if it will charge but they are $110 her in Bermuda. I tried the SMC reset which did nothing to resolve the problem. Has anyone else had this experience and or can you offer any suggestions?

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2013)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:51 AM

3 replies

Feb 5, 2016 11:56 AM in response to BarryJMcD

Make sure it's plugged into the wall and not a power strip.

You're saying the Apple Store doesn't have a replacement in store? That seems odd. Also buying an 85W is a waste of money when the computer is designed to work with a 45W. Your computer should have come with two types of connections for charging: one is the two prong plug and the other is the long three prong extension. Try both

Apple Portables: Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2016 1:25 PM in response to Pmintz25

Thanks but I tried that. We are a family of 5 with 3 MacBook Airs. The charger in question works fine with the other 2 Laptops but none of the 3 chargers will work with the Laptop in question. In Bda the Apple approved service provider has to get parts from Apple Latin America and does not stock any inventory for repair (long story). Therefore I knowits not the MagSafe2 but rather is an issue with the Laptop. What is bizare (tome) is the fact it will charge in their shop with an 85 Watt MagSafe2 but not with a 45 Watt. It would appear to me it has to be a problem with the MagSafe Board or the Logic board but it will be at least another 3 weeks before they can test that. (Painful)

Charging problem with MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.