Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't use noise gate in Garageband 10

HI! After browsing the web and this community, I have found that Garageband 10 does include a noise gate. 🙂 However, I can't understand the directions for turning it on. I can see the place where I would put a check mark, with the slider next to it, but both are greyed out. I can't make a check mark in the box. From conversations elsewhere on the board, it seems I might not have the plug-in for the noise gate correctly installed. Can anyone help me install it so that I can use it? I'm trying to convert a very old audiotape with a lot of echo and background noise, and the noise gate would certainly help! Maybe not as much as the equalizer, which I've also used, but I do think I need both. I'm working on the library macbook, a 13-inch gGZ running Mavericks.

Here's what I'm looking at when I try to check the box for the noise gate:

User uploaded file

I think you can see the place where I should check the box is greyed out. In any case, it's completely unresponsive when I try to click in it. Can anyone explain how I get this to work? Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:56 AM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 11:26 AM in response to léonie

Thanks so much, Leonie! But this is exactly where I ran into problems with the earlier instructions I found here. You say, "click an empty brick in the plug-ins for the track, and select Dynamics: Noise Gate. I just don't see anything at all like that. There don't seem to be any popup windows when I click on these plug-ins. Here's what I see: (sorry it's so small!)User uploaded file

And when I click on one of these, I don't get a menu. I just get controls for the plug-in. What empty box am I supposed to click in?

Thanks again!

Feb 6, 2016 12:03 PM in response to maryj59

If all bricks are taken in the Plug-ins pane, ctrl-click or right-click the hair line at the bottom of the pane. This will produce a new, empty slot where you can add another plug-in. (or ctrl-click any deciding lines between the plug-ins). It is not well documented, how to do this. We have to experiment and explore, like an adventure game. 😁

User uploaded file

Can't use noise gate in Garageband 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.