Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does a Magic Mouse, trackpad

HI

I've always wondered if my wireless devices still use battery power even when my Mac is switched off?

I find I'm always changing batteries on my Magic Mouse, trackpad & keyboard which is costing me a small fortune.

Any comments are appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2000GB SSD, 16GB Ram

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:31 PM

3 replies

Feb 5, 2016 12:44 PM in response to groovechild63

Do you turn the switch off on your mouse and keyboard when you turn off your Mac?

If you don't turn them off then, yes, they are using power even if your computer is off.

They may be using even more power because they are searching for a device to connect to.

But if you are turning them off on them when you turn off your Mac they should not be using battery.

Feb 5, 2016 2:12 PM in response to groovechild63

They do use a relatively small amount of power if not turned off; better to have rechargeable batteries so you can always keep a pair ready for action. I have 12 rechargeable batteries and rotate their usage. All the same they still run down a little.

For regular batteries anything from supermarket bargains to dime a dozen stores selling dated stock or fake copies will generally give you poor service. And if the copies explode, cleaning up the mess is awful. If you prefer to use regular batteries use Energiser, Eneloop, Duracell or Apple.

Does a Magic Mouse, trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.