Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which external drive should I buy to back up an 2009 MacBook Pro with 2.0 USB port?

I want to back up the hard drive on my circa 2009 MacBook Pro (13") with Snow Leopard. There are so many gizmos out there and I want to get the right one! My MacBook only has a 2.0 USB port. I need to do this because I am taking the machine in to have the battery replaced and because I am purchasing a new machine soon and would want to transfer the stuff I backed-up onto my new machine. Any recommendations as to which is the most suitable portable drive would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Frances

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:01 PM

I use this external enclosure: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/

Can take any 2.5 in drive (HD or SSD). I swap currently 3 bare drives (WD 750 GB Black) for familyvideos/data, clones, test data disks. $72 sounds expensive, but it has Firewire 400/800, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 interface for use with many computers.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 1:01 PM in response to francesfromnew york

I use this external enclosure: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/

Can take any 2.5 in drive (HD or SSD). I swap currently 3 bare drives (WD 750 GB Black) for familyvideos/data, clones, test data disks. $72 sounds expensive, but it has Firewire 400/800, and USB 2.0 and 3.0 interface for use with many computers.

Feb 5, 2016 1:04 PM in response to steve359

Thanks, but I don't understand the technical specifications. My MacbookPro just has 2.0 USB port. I don't have a lot of documents on it, but I have lots of photographs. I saw a Seagate portable drive advertised on Amazon, also a Toshiba Canvio Connect II, but I want to be sure I get one that is compatible with Apple software/hardware.

Feb 5, 2016 1:08 PM in response to francesfromnew york

External drive+enclosure tend to cheap-out on both the drive and the enclosure/interface-card. They can die sooner than expected, and take all drive data with it.

The enclosure I gave you is a good-quality enclosure and you can buy top-quality bare-drives to use. And the enclosure does talk USB 2.0 for your system.

It just happens to have Firewire 400/800 and USB 3.0 if you ever want to use this enclosure with other systems.

Feb 5, 2016 1:31 PM in response to francesfromnew york

Pretty much any drive with USB is going to be compatible. USB3 is backwards compatible with USB2. Some drives mention system requirements but that is for bundled software which you do not need.

I have not seen any glowing reviews of Toshiba drives. They tend to be put into complete drives because they are cheap. If I were buying something I would get a good quality enclosure like then one mentioned and then probably a Western Digital Blue or Black, or a HGST drive to go inside. Getting something with USB3 capability is nice for future use but if all you have is USB2 then that is all the speed you will get.

which external drive should I buy to back up an 2009 MacBook Pro with 2.0 USB port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.