Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect my Macbook early 2011 with my iMac (late 2015 without retina display) with my thunderbolt cable?

Can I connect my Macbook early 2011 with my iMac (late 2015 without retina display) with my thunderbolt cable?

I bought one and now I do not know what to do?!?!

Thanks in advance 😉

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), thunderbold

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:57 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 9:34 AM in response to Marc Rothe

l have a 2011 model that worked fine as a display using an ordinary Thunderbolt cable, but that was just my experience. I have a 2015 iMac, but have no need to use it as a second display, so I've not experimented with it.

Thunderbolt can be used for data transfer and many other uses. I use it for running several drives including an external SSD that is the startup drive. I made the error of not realizing that the 1 TB Fusion Drive only used a small flash drive of 24 GBs. Not large enough to use as a startup volume, so I am using an external SSD off the Thunderbolt port. I use the second Thunderbolt port to connect the OWC Dock. I connect two backup drives to it that are in a Thunderbolt supported enclosure from OWC.

So, you see there are lots of uses for Thunderbolt. Unfortunately, this doesn't help you much in getting your iMac to work as an external display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.