Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes doesn't back up my apps iphone 6 plus

I have an iphone 6 plus with ios 9.2.1 and itunes version 12.1.2.27

when i run a back up of my iphone to itumes i get a pop up asking me if i want to also back up my apps. i usually say yes. But when the back up process is done i don't see my apps in the apps library. does it mean the back up failed?

I can see that the back up was done in the "preferences" section under "devices" but i don't see my apps.

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:30 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 5:55 PM in response to unr3al34

What is the exact text of the message?

What version of Windows are you running?

You ought to be running either the current version 12.3.2.35 or if you have XP or Vista you should be running 12.1.3.6.

A feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. If your apps are not stored in the library when the time comes to restore a device they will be downloaded automatically from the from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works, however this puts you at risk of losing any app that is removed from the store by its developer. To guard against this you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device.

tt2

Feb 9, 2016 11:06 AM in response to turingtest2

Windows 7 64-bit

iTunes 12.3.2.35 64-bit

iPhone 6 Plus with IOS 9.2.1

I installed a clean copy of itunes and ran the back up for my iphone. Now there is no pop up message asking if i want to back up the apps. It just starts backing up.

At the top of the screen it says "Backing Up [name]-iPhone" and a blue bar moving below it.

when it is done I check the apps section in itunes and it is empty.

when i go to "preferences" -> devices I see that the back up was done.

But I still don't see any of my apps in itunes.

itunes doesn't back up my apps iphone 6 plus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.