Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reset Ipad

Hi. Recently for some reason I have forgotten my Ipad pass code. I've tried for a few hours to remember it but it finally led to the message "Connect to iTunes." When I read how to reset my IPad i realized I would have to wipe it completely to be able to use it. Although when I go to restore it to factory default, It asks me to update since I was never bothered by the alerts. When I go to update and restore I get an error saying " There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad "iPad". An unknown error occurred (-39)

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later." This was confusing me because my connection was fine until I realized there is no Wi-Fi signal on my IPad. Possibly meaning for some reason it has disconnected meaning I can't update and restore or do anything because I have forgotten my pass code. Would appreciate help and support. Thanks

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 1:54 PM

3 replies

Feb 5, 2016 2:56 PM in response to itsCreations

Unplug all routers and let them sit for about 10-30 seconds, BUT MAKE SURE YOU ARENT DOING ANYTHING ON ANY DEVICES THAT REQUIRE INTERNET AND IF THEY ARE WORKING AND YOU CANT AFFORD TO LOSE THAT PROCCESS THEN WAIT FOR IT TO FINISH (I had this exact same issue yesterday and the day before, both times this worked and now my internet is fine.)

after letting it sit for a while plug it back in and wait for about 3-15 minutes (depending on what kind of router you are using and what your internet is like) if your internet is not working by then I suggest you contact your service provider.

ALSO: don't push any reset buttons on your router, I did this and found out the hard way that it *****, we had to have our service provider send some one out here, BUT we did that only to find out that we had to set up our wifi all over again, SO it's not that bad, but just unplugging it and plugging it back in will save you some trouble.

AS FOR THE RESET: After you get your wifi working, plug your iPad into your computer, open iTunes, and back up your iPad to the computer, then look for the Factory Reset button in the iPad settings within the iTunes app on the computer, after it is done unplug your iPad and set it up ON the iPad, sign into your Apple ID again and open the App Store, go to purchased, and go through and download everything you want back on it.

UNFFORTUNATALY: you can't do the restore from previous iPad setting on the computer because it would put your password back on the iPad, but I suggested that you back it up just in case of an accident and if you someday remember the password and you want your iPad to be just like it was then, you can then reset your iPad on the iPad and then plug it into the computer and chose that previous iPad option (keep in mind that you loose everything except for App Store purchases and iTunes purchases from the point of that backup till the restore, your iPad should be EXACTLY as when you forgot you password. Any in app purchases that aren't linked to an account in anyway will be lost.

Unable to reset Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.