Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I repair my disk if it won't verify - or even communicate that I have a disk!?

Hi all,

My computer crashed - so when I rebooted it to the OS X Recovery Screen, I went to disk utility and am trying to verify my disk in order to repair it. But even after I verify it, it won't let me click "repair". I have disk0 then with the Mac OS X System..

I've tried reinstalling the OS X but it said I needed to choose a disk to do so and there were none to choose from..

What do I do. (I hate to admit this, but I didn't back up anything.) All my coursework and assignments are not backed up.

Please help!

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Server

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 2:06 PM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 2:21 PM in response to A-SFarms

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Boot Using Command+R keys:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"COMMAND" and the "R" keys together.

3. Release the keys when the Utilities Menu appears.

Click on Disk Utility in the menu and then click on the Continue button. in Disk Utility clicl on the Partition tab. Do you have any partitions set? Look to the left for the device list. Is there a disk entry shown (out-dented) and a volume entry (indented) shown? You can take screen snaps to post in your reply to help visualize what is there. Note, that if there is no disk entry then your drive is toast.

If there is a volume entry then select it in the device list. Click on the Erase tab. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended, Journaled, then click on the Erase button.

How do I repair my disk if it won't verify - or even communicate that I have a disk!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.