Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Get Bi-Directional Button on Pages 5.6.1

I work on an iMac, using OS X 10.11.3. I purchased the current version of Pages with the intent of using it primarily for Hebrew, which is written from right to left. I already had Hebrew as one of my source input options for use in Mellel. I added it again, just to be sure, and restarted my Mac. Sadly, the bi-directional button did not appear among the Alignment option in Styles. I tried everything I could think of, but still no button. This is very frustrating. Can anybody help?

iMac (17-inch Late 2006), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:52 PM

Try adding an Arabic input source as well, at least temporarily.

Do you see an option to change direction in the Format > Text menu?

3 replies

Feb 5, 2016 4:52 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hi Tom. thanks for responding so swiftly. I added Arabic and the bi-directional button did, indeed, appear. Brilliant! HOWEVER: Typing Hebrew from right to left goes very smoothly until you reach a punctuation mark. When you type a period, comma, question mark, etc., it appears at the extreme right of the line and will go to the right place after the intended word only if you type in another letter, which means you can never put a punctuation mark in place when you hit return. Can you help me with this as well?

Below is an example of what I mean. The Hebrew sentence begins at the right and the period should appear after the fourth word to the left. Instead it jumps to the beginning of the line.

שלום תום מה שלומך.

Can't Get Bi-Directional Button on Pages 5.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.