Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Format a new internal hard disk with 10.6.6

I recently purchased an Apple iMac "Core i5" 2.7 27-Inch (Mid-2011) from a University Surplus store. It came "as is" with NO install disks. Worked well for a month then the wheels came off and the HD died & had to be replaced. I looked through all my old install disks and found Snow Leopard 10.6.3 but have been told that this WILL NOT work on 27" iMac as it is the wrong version. Scoured the internet and cannot find a 10.6.6 install DVD anywhere. Can anyone help me out and tell me how I can accomplish formatting the new HD and installing Snow Leopard so I can upgrade it to El Capitan (where it was when it died.)

Any help would be appreciated. I'm desperate

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 5:14 PM

4 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:20 PM in response to gmrudella

Ask the university for the disks, or click here, phone Apple, and order replacements. Alternatively, you can download El Capitan to a different Mac and then either install it through Target Disk mode or use DiskMaker X to create an USB installation thumbdrive from the installer.

If the Mac was upgraded to use Apple's Internet Recovery system, you can also connect it to the Internet, restart with the Option, Command, and R keys held down, and install an OS from it. If this works, it'll install Lion.

(139216)

Feb 5, 2016 5:39 PM in response to Niel

Already asked the University Surplus Computer Staff. They said they don't have them. Whether they really don't have them or do, they aren't giving me any.

I'll have to see if it was upgraded for the Recovery system once I get it back. I actually have an old (20") iMac running El Capitan with all the files the 27" had on it still on it. It was the machine I upgraded from and used Migration assistant to get every thing onto the 27" iMac.

Wouldn't the upgrade to Apple's Internet Recovery System (if it happened to the 27"iMac) be gone once the original hard disk was removed??

Format a new internal hard disk with 10.6.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.