Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 error 53

Question.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.

I do not use, nor ever have, used fingerprint scanner for security nor wish to.

If I were ever to have to get 3rd party repair work, relating to the hardware affected, carried out on this iPhone, would apples error 53 "security" still brick my phone to keep me "secure"?

A clear cut answer to this question may shed some light on error 53, and possibly apples intentions in this regard.

samb0b

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 4:52 PM

30 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:04 PM in response to samb0b

samb0b wrote:

Question.

I have an iPhone 6s Plus running iOS 9.

I do not use, nor ever have, used fingerprint scanner for security nor wish to.

If I were ever to have to get 3rd party repair work, relating to the hardware affected, carried out on this iPhone, would apples error 53 "security" still brick my phone to keep me "secure"?

A clear cut answer to this question may shed some light on error 53, and possibly apples intentions in this regard.

samb0b

Yes. error 53 means that the touch id sensor is no longer paired with the touch id encrypted store on the motherboard. This will happen if either the button or the cable connecting it to the motherboard is replaced without proper equipment to re-pair them. We have no idea what Apple's intentions are, but, as a guess, it's to prevent hacking touch ID by replacing the button assembly.

Feb 5, 2016 5:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your reply Lawrence.

Whilst you may well be correct (this is yet to be established by someone who has encountered this scenario, or by Apple themselves, assuming they know) I think you may have missed the point my question is making.

Allow me another question.

How or why would anyone want to hack my Touch ID if I have never used it, and never want to use it?

If there is no fingerprint ID ever registered on the phone, then there is nothing to hack, so nothing needs securing in that regard.

Assuming you are correct, essentially, in my case scenario, error 53 security would appear to be absolutely useless in terms of a security feature, and would render my phone just as useless for no reason whatsoever, or so it would appear.

samb0b

Feb 5, 2016 6:06 PM in response to samb0b

Neither Apple nor the hardware would have any way of knowing if you have ever used Touch ID. And someone who stole your phone would not know either, and might try to hack it (this is very far fetched, but apparently Apple had reports of it, or they wouldn't have tightened the security). In your case you should enable Touch ID and set it up. If it works, you are OK. If it doesn't then don't restore the phone, ever. If you don't want to use it after testing it then disable it.

Feb 9, 2016 7:26 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This did not solve my question.

Looks like the moderator(s) has taken it upon themselves to not only edit my last post, (which did not contain any profanity, just my opinions) but to also mark Lawrence Finch's reply as "This solved my question"!

This has all been recorded and if the moderator does this again I will report this.

Feb 9, 2016 7:55 AM in response to samb0b

you know it's the moderator you report it to right ?

but you know this is a user helping user forum non of us work for apple and the mods only enforce the rules they don't drag apples service boss over to read posts if you wish to complain to apple use feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

or contact http://www.apple.com/contact/

non of us can make apple allow changing touch sensor on their phones without bricking them

Feb 9, 2016 7:55 AM in response to samb0b

Your question has already been answered.

Regardless of whether you use Touch ID or not, if anyone replaced the home button other than Apple, the phone would be bricked due to error 53. Apple has provided details at: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-upda te-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

If you're concerned about it, provide feedback to Apple directly at: http://www.apple.com/feedback. No one on this forum can explain or dispute Apple's policies.

Feb 9, 2016 8:09 AM in response to Rudegar

The moderator keeps editing and or deleting mine and other peoples posts from this thread. I did not intentionally press "solved"... if I did it was a mistake and I did not know about it, but I suspected the moderator because they have been editing my replies and deleting posts willy nilly.

I want just want clarification (from more than 1 source) if the update in iOS 9 will brick my phone should I get a non-certified Apple repair carried out on the phone(s)! I also do not appreciate being told to setup touch ID when I made it clear I did not want to do this. How is this an appropriate reply to my query?

Apple need to sort this out, and quickly! I would say that they should be able to patch this out in a future release of iOS?

I am angry learning about this and feel very uncertain about mine and my wifes 6s iPhones for the future!

Thank you.

samb0b

Feb 9, 2016 8:17 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence, I have not had any repairs made on the device. It is less than 3 months old. I am asking for the future because in the past I have had other iPhones where the home button has become faulty after a year (out of warranty) and I have swapped the home buttons myself with the help of ifixit.. (iPhone 4, 4s and wifes 4s). Similarly, my daughters iphone has had to have the screen replaced by a 3rd party after she dropped and cracked it.

I am not happy with the prospect that potentially in the future, I may be forced to use an authorized apple repairer at a extortionate rate to fix any out of warranty issues or accidental damages.

The reason I do not want to setup touch ID is because I don't want to use it. Isn't that good enough reason?

samb0b

Feb 9, 2016 8:18 AM in response to samb0b

As the posts have been removed there's no way any of us can guess. But the moderator who deleted your post would have sent you an email explaining why your post was removed. There is another possibility - if a post is removed, all posts that were responses to the removed post are deleted also. So it might not have been your post that was removed, but one that you responded to, and yours was "collateral damage." You would not be notified in this case.

Feb 9, 2016 8:20 AM in response to samb0b

samb0b wrote:

The moderator keeps editing and or deleting mine and other peoples posts from this thread. I did not intentionally press "solved"... if I did it was a mistake and I did not know about it, but I suspected the moderator because they have been editing my replies and deleting posts willy nilly.

I want just want clarification (from more than 1 source) if the update in iOS 9 will brick my phone should I get a non-certified Apple repair carried out on the phone(s)! I also do not appreciate being told to setup touch ID when I made it clear I did not want to do this. How is this an appropriate reply to my query?

Apple need to sort this out, and quickly! I would say that they should be able to patch this out in a future release of iOS?

I am angry learning about this and feel very uncertain about mine and my wifes 6s iPhones for the future!

Thank you.

samb0b

No they are not, and yes you did mark the posts as solved. If not solved why did you mark it as such?

iPhone 6 error 53

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.