Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What may be the best/preferred Email solution(s)?

Background:

I am using Office for Mac 2011. I used to use Office on the PC and kept all my email on my hard disk. I want my life to synch between my computer and phone. I now keep my calendar, reminders and phone directory using the native Apple Applications. So now, I'm less wedded to the outlook application.

I have multiple email accounts. One long term one is on gmail, and I've been weaning myself and others to my account on live.com. Live.com is on the outlook.com platform--a domain like outlook.com or hotmail.com.

Additional History:

Though many companies suggest using their cloud, I've found that doesn't always work. Previous email accounts linked to either my cable company or local phone company were lost when I moved. When I moved cross country, I had to change banks, and old "online financial records" that I didn't need to keep on paper also were lost. I now use the gmail and outlook email accounts as they are not connected to phone or cable services that require monthly payments, or are limited to a physical address.

As computer/software companies don't often play nicely with one another, and must continually look at new financial models, I think (I've got a cloudy crystal ball), that in the future, that Microsoft may charge for having an email account on their domain. (I hope I'm wrong.)

Which may be best?

I CAN access these accounts using a browser. I've used a dedicated application (outlook for mac) in the belief that by keeping the email on my computer, it acts as a backup, and allows offline use. Again, I'm not wedded to Outlook as I once was.

1) Should I merely stop using my local apps and use a browser? I have connectivity almost all the time. It would save space on my computer and allow me to use any computer or phone. Any thoughts there?

2) IF I continue to use an app, might I be better off using the Apple Mail Application? If so, it will work better with my calendar/phone directory. Any other thoughts?

I'm open to all perspectives here, and know we each have our own specific needs. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), late 2011 13 inch

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 5:22 PM

2 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:33 PM in response to Jarmaracark

I want my life to synch between my computer and phone.

Then you need either Outlook or a Mail program that can deal with IMAP. Doing this in a Browser is clunky and inefficient.

The advantage of doing this with Mac Mail is that Mac Mail and iPhone Mail are becoming more similar by the minute, and they sell many more units of iPhone than of Macs. So one interface on several devices, and if you specify IMAP, it keeps track of what has been "read" on any device and does not proffer it as a new email again.

so try Mac Mail and iPhone Mail.

What may be the best/preferred Email solution(s)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.