Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my IPhone 6s, I am trying to use icloud to use a previous backup on my new phone, Says The 6 is not updated enough

ICloud will not let me put everything that I backed up on my old IPhone 5c, to my new IPhone 6s. Says iOS 9.2.1 is required. I cannot access settings to change the version because I am just beginning to set up the phone.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 5:10 PM

6 replies

Feb 5, 2016 5:16 PM in response to Kalipie

What is the version on the 5S? you can restore a backup from a version older than the current version on a phone but not one new. So if the 5C is on 9.2.1 then the 6S must be also. Here's what you can do:

• Back up the 5C to iTunes AND to iCloud (just to be extra safe). If Encrypt Backup is checked make sure you know the backup passcode. If it is NOT checked, check it before backing up and enter and REMEMBER the passcode (unencrypted backups do not back up passcodes or health app data).
  • Open iTunes and go to Preferences, Devices pane, and check the box to not sync automatically.
  • Connect the phone to the computer and set it up as New, then upgrade it to 9.2.1
  • After upgrading use iTunes to restore the backup.

Feb 6, 2016 6:38 AM in response to bogdangh

bogdangh wrote:

you cannot use a 9.x.x ios device with an older back-up version. they need to be the same.

update your 5c to ios 9.2.1, back-up again and then you will be able to use the back-up on your new device.

bogdan.

That is 100% WRONG.

You can use an older backup to restore to a newer version. What you cannot do is use a backup made with a newer version of iOS to a device that has an older version.

For example, you can restore:

An 8.4 backup to a device with 9.2.1

A 9.2 backup to a device with 9.2.1

Or for that matter, you can restore a backup made with 3.1.3 to a device with 9.2.1

What you cannot do is restore a backup made with 9.2.1 to a device with 9.2, 9.1, 8.4, or any earlier version than 9.2.1

On my IPhone 6s, I am trying to use icloud to use a previous backup on my new phone, Says The 6 is not updated enough

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.