Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I own a ttf font set that won't work on my new MacBook Pro. What can I do?

After installing a ttf font set, it won't work on my MacBook Pro. What can I do?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 6:58 PM

16 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:40 PM in response to Sherry15

Hi Sherry15,

Couple of things.

Is this a free font anyone can pick up? If so, could you please provide a link to it? I'd like to look over its internal structure and see if there's anything wrong with it.

Suggested above, it's incorrect that the OS needs to be restarted for a font to appear. That is never the case. Some apps need to be shut down and restarted, through. Like Microsoft Office. They simply will not recognize any font that's been activated after Word, Excel or PowerPoint is already running.

Not sure what version of OS X you're using with your MacBook Pro since iOS has nothing to do with Macs. iPhones and iPads use iOS. Macs use OS X.

Things to try. Fonts appearing in some apps but not others is commonly an issue with Font Book's database.

To reset Font Book completely in Snow Leopard, 10.6.x through El Capitan, 10.11.x, do the following.

1a) Restart your Mac and immediately hold down the Shift key when you hear the startup chime to boot into Safe Mode. Keep holding the Shift key until OS X asks you to log in (you will get this screen on a Safe Mode boot even if your Mac is set to automatically log in). Let the Mac finish booting to the desktop and then restart normally. This will clear Font Book's database and the cache files for the user account you logged into in Safe Mode.

1b) For a while, Font Book's database file, com.apple.FontRegistry, was buried deeply in the /private/var/folders/…/-Caches-/ folder. In later versions of OS X, it's much easier to remove. Quit Font Book. Open the Preferences folder in your user account, put the file com.apple.FontRegistry in the trash and restart. Faster than method 1a where you have to restart twice.

Which method to use simply depends on whether or not you find the file com.apple.FontRegistry in your user account Preferences folder. 1a will always work if you're not sure, or can't find it.

Feb 6, 2016 3:43 PM in response to Kurt Lang

The font is not a free font. I bought it several years ago and used it without issues on my PC.

I recently bought a Mac when my PC crashed. As you can tell, I am not very Mac savvy. I am running El Capitan.

I deleted all the font files from this program. Then I tried a font converter before installing them back in my font book. I restarted the computer again. Some of the fonts work now, but not all. I am sick of trying to fix it, but if I open a file that has the unusable font, my document is ruined. I have so many resources that use thsee fonts. The font seller seems unconcerned that Mac users has such difficulty.

Feb 6, 2016 5:59 PM in response to Sherry15

If you like, you could email the fonts to me - retoucher at jklstudios dot com

Believe me, I'm not trying to get free fonts out of you. I already have thousands of commercially purchased fonts. I would just like to examine them to see if there's something structurally wrong with the fonts. A problem could be that they're older non Unicode TrueType fonts. As both the Mac and Windows OS progress, non Unicode fonts become flakier to use.

You may want to ask the vendor first to see if it's okay with them to send the fonts to me.

Feb 6, 2016 6:33 PM in response to Sherry15

I think you may have been using non-uncode fonts. It may be hard to find OS X apps that will be willing to use these. Try the free office clone LibreOffice. In the worst case you may need to run Windows on your Mac, which is very easy.

OS X comes with the huge set of Unicode math fonts whose names begin with STIX. Ideally that is what everyone should be using these days. But when you have a lot of legacy materials you may want to keep using the legacy fonts.

I own a ttf font set that won't work on my new MacBook Pro. What can I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.