Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to curve fit

Is there a way to curve fit data in Numbers? This can redone in Excel but I can't see how to do this in Numbers. Polynomial curve fit preferably.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:16 PM

Hi coop Mac,

Is this what you are looking for? Click on the series, then Format Panel > Series > Trendline.

User uploaded file

The best graph I find for this is the Scatter Plot.

Regards,

Ian.

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:56 AM in response to Yellowbox

Ian writes:

"The best graph I find for this is the Scatter Plot."

Agreed. The Scatter Plot is the only graph type in Numbers that plots y data against x data. All other types are Category graphs which plot y data for each category. Category graphs will produce an accurate trend line only for data where the categories represent evenly spaced data points (eg. totals per month or per week) If the x data is actual data, not evenly spaced, then the data points should not be evenly spaced along the x axis. Example below shows a scatter chart (Chart 1) and a Line chart (which is a category chart) constructed from the same data set. Y values for both are in column C, X values for the scatter chart are in column B. Category labels for the line chart are in column A, and are identical to the X values in column B.

Trend lines for both are the dark(er) blue line, specified in both cases as a second order polynomial.

User uploaded file

Regards,

Barry

how to curve fit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.