Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java won't install!

I've downloaded the latest version of Java (8 v71) but it won't install. I open the file and get into the InstallWizard, however, when it opens, a loading wheel spins for a bit then the next page loads (it appears to mention something about 3 Million Users?) then closes... I'm assuming it's crashing. I've downloaded and attempted to do it so many times, I have tried it through a different user account and it will not install.

I need Java to access the Australian Business Register, so simply "Not Using It" is NOT an option.

I maintenance my Mac all the time, keep the desktop and trash empty, run First Aid now and then and restart at least once a day... I just can't figure out a work around.

Thanks for any help.

- Nick J

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 11:19 PM

Hello Nick, I assume you tried installing Java from Oracle's main website right? Do you also try to test whether or not you have Java by going to safari and testing it out (Java doesn't work on Chrome). In terminal, do a Java -version like what I typed below

User uploaded file

You can get Java from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2016 11:19 PM in response to Nick Jeremiah

Hello Nick, I assume you tried installing Java from Oracle's main website right? Do you also try to test whether or not you have Java by going to safari and testing it out (Java doesn't work on Chrome). In terminal, do a Java -version like what I typed below

User uploaded file

You can get Java from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Feb 13, 2016 12:49 PM in response to n00b2MaC

Sorry, I get this:

java version "1.6.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4833)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)

For context, I keep getting the 'missing plug-in' error every time Java is needed and after allowing plug in's on Safari, and installing a new version (both new and old) won't work.

Feb 13, 2016 12:59 PM in response to Fosse4

So based on the above, you do indeed have Java albeit version 6. (Java JRE Version 6).

Hmm I don't use safari but try to test and see if the verifier can verify that you have Java. Sometimes it may prompt you to install the latest version of Java.

User uploaded file

Go the hyperlink in the screenshot please and then click on the button that prompts you to check for what version of Java you run. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 1:05 PM in response to n00b2MaC

Hi,

1) I get that there's a plug in missing and when I click, I get this pop up window.

User uploaded file

2) After clicking on 'more info', I get sent to the Download page, which I have downloaded plenty of times and it crashes during the last window:

User uploaded file

3) I have called Apple Care and they were not able to help me claiming it was a Java problem and gave me a number for Oracle offices. But Oracle does not offer customer service!! Apple Care even had me re-install my OS X to no avail 😟

Feb 13, 2016 1:14 PM in response to Fosse4

I sort of know what your issue is. Your Java version is for some reason not being detected as Java 8, instead it is being detected as an earlier version of Java, (Java 1.6 also known as Java 6). This is evident because after typing 'java -version' on the command line in the terminal, that's what we got for the version.

What I recommend doing is uninstalling Java 6 first then installing Java 8.

Alternatively, go to System Preferences:

User uploaded file

You should see a Java icon, please click on the Java icon and then from there you should get a Control Panel Window similar to this one:

User uploaded file

Click on the update tab and it should bring you to this window.

User uploaded file

Please let me know what you see. Thanks!

Feb 13, 2016 1:33 PM in response to n00b2MaC

Thanks!

So I got it to work, I don't know how though...

Before (when posting the original question), I used to not see any Java icon in my System Preferences. I decided to install an update from Java 7 and then once installed it prompted my to install the new update Java 8. I did, and it crashed as usual, but somehow the Java icon on System preferences finally appears and it showed that I had Java 8 Update 73, but prompted me to update to Update 79 (?).

Which I did and then it finally worked!

Java won't install!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.