Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Settings for airport time capsule (1st Gen)

I am using Longreach wireless (Netspeed) as my service provider. Speeds are way down on what they should be; is there anything I can do within settings to help speed up the line and download speeds. Running iMac El Capitan 10.11.3 with an Airport time capsule 1st Gen that I've had for about 3 - 4 years as the wireless network. The long reach system has the modem built into he antenna on the roof and the time capsule plugs directly not the wall via a power supply.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:12 PM

Plug your iMac directly by ethernet to the modem.. you might need to go and buy an extra long cable or use a different computer, a laptop is great.

Find out what your speeds are like without wireless.. if it is the same, then nothing you do on the current wireless network will help.

If you get a big improvement.. my recommendation is to simply buy a new router.. the TC is very old, single band.. and its wireless might well be less than 100% now.

The TC can still be used for backups plugged into the new router.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 8:12 PM in response to gjf6

Plug your iMac directly by ethernet to the modem.. you might need to go and buy an extra long cable or use a different computer, a laptop is great.

Find out what your speeds are like without wireless.. if it is the same, then nothing you do on the current wireless network will help.

If you get a big improvement.. my recommendation is to simply buy a new router.. the TC is very old, single band.. and its wireless might well be less than 100% now.

The TC can still be used for backups plugged into the new router.

Settings for airport time capsule (1st Gen)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.