Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot boot. Apple logo and pinwheel just hangs

Thanks for reading.

I have an iMac that is 2005 - I think. 1Tb, 4Gb, upgraded to Core 2 Duo.

Turning the Mac on the Apple logo appears and the pinwheel rotates - and that's it.

I have tried all Boot options like Shift, C, T, Command-R+P, etc etc and still all I get is the same. (all after the ding sound). I have also taken the drive out and connected it to an external caddie, and then to my Macbook Pro via USB. I can see all the files fine. It just will not boot inside the Mac. I'm afraid I cannot recall what version of OS X it has sorry but it was whatever the latest and maximum was for that machine with core 2 duo.

Is there a way of reinstalling the boot sectors ? (I am talking PC lingo, no idea if that translates to the iMac)

Any help / suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

iMac

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 7:20 PM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2016 7:40 PM in response to Marrcus

A 2005 iMac cannot run Mountain Lion which is the community in which you posted your question. It also could not be a Core 2 Duo because they weren't introduced until 2006. So, please get you facts lined up for use. What is your actual hardware and what version of OS X is installed on it. Then we may get on to help you out.

Cannot boot. Apple logo and pinwheel just hangs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.