Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WD my cloud and iTunes not finding files

I Purchased a WD mycloud 4tb NAS to offload my iTunes files and photos From my Mac. I do not want it as a back up as I have a dedicated time machine for backups. I want to remove the files from my hard drive on my mac and have iTunes pull the files form the NAS.

I Have spent countless hours looking through posts and trying everything to no avail. I copied my iTunes/music folder over to my NAS and it created a folder called iTunes. All files and file structure looks good. I start iTunes with option key held done and select choose library. I then navigate to my new iTunes folder on the NAS. It "looks" like my songs and movies are all there after iTunes launches, however in the upper left hand corner I notice a house symbol with an

up and down arrow. When I select that I get two options, 1 with check mark next to my computer and below that unchecked is WDMycloud. If I select WDMycloud, it shows me an empty iTunes with "WDMMycloud" has no music????(or any content what so ever).

i put the iTunes folder from the copy in the folder under my NAS user name. My only options were:

my user name

PUblic

SMartWare

TImeMachineBackup

do I somehow need to get it copied to the root drove and not under a folder? Any help would be appreciated.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 8:36 PM

4 replies

Feb 6, 2016 4:34 AM in response to lrcampbell04

I don't have a WD NAS but from other posts I get the impression WD has server software for serving a library as a shared item. That may be what you are seeing? I haven't heard others mention little houses or anything when they ask about this for a normal hard drive.

To move a library you don't just copy the Media folder, you copy the entire iTunes folder.

Using NAS is a popular idea for iTunes libraries. The problem is iTunes and NAS do not get along together and this may be only your first visit here.

Feb 6, 2016 6:00 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks Limnos for responding. I have seen several of your responses to others and have found them helpful. When I copied the files I did copy the entire iTunes folder. The size it takes in my NAS matches the size of that folder on my computer hard drive, so I am fairly confident that the files moved correctly. I just cannot seem to get iTunes to find them....it finds the Mycloud drive, just not the iTunes folder. I do have iTunes turned on in the WD mycloud settings.

LAst sat night I moved the folder on the NAS to the "public" folder, but same problem.

i will continue to play with it more this weekend and will report back.

Feb 6, 2016 8:40 AM in response to lrcampbell04

So you copied the entire folder, started iTunes while holding down option, then guided it to the iTunes Library.itl file in the folder you just copied to the NAS?

Using this method there shouldn't be any need for us/me to resolve what is going on with the shared library things or whatever, the whole library should appear in iTunes. It doesn't matter where you put it as long as you start it this way once and then make sure your NAS is awake and mounted before you start iTunes.

Realize there are all kinds of NAS problems on this forum. Each one is almost unique and for few of them is there a clear reason why things happen. If this really is getting messed up because of some WD software trying to serve the library then your best bet is to get help with that on a WD support forum.

WD my cloud and iTunes not finding files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.