Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Screen videos going to Full Screen Mode

I have a Macbook Pro Retina running OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 and browse with Chrome (v.48.0.2564.97). I typically work with a dual screen set up. Since updating, I have been unable to full screen a video on any website (Facebook, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) without it entering Full Screen mode - where it full screens independently of all the other programs and the other screen is unusable. I'm really tired of this, and all the solutions I see are to zoom in on the video, which I am not satisfied with. I've poked around most of the system preferences but can't find anything to turn this feature off. When I full screen a video, I want it to stay on that screen, not halt everything else to take up the whole system. Any solutions?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), LG Monitor - Flatron W2353V

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:42 PM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2016 7:49 AM in response to stuphunuu

Hello stuphunuu,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you play a video full size, it expands the entire app to the full screen and you are not able to view separate apps on your second monitor.

If this is correct, I would first suggest making sure you have the “Displays have separate Spaces” option enabled as the following article describes.

Use Mission Control preferences to set options and shortcuts for showing and hiding app windows, the desktop, and Dashboard. To open Mission Control preferences, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Mission Control.

Displays have separate Spaces

If you use Spaces and have multiple displays, you can set up separate spaces for each display.

OS X El Capitan: Mission Control preferences

The next article provides more information about working in multiple spaces in El Capitan.

OS X El Capitan: Work in multiple spaces

Cheers!

Full Screen videos going to Full Screen Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.