Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else have an iMac that starts typing on its own?

I try to type in a password and the computer just starts typing, indefinitely. I go to write an email and the computer hits return over and over and over. Then it starts beeping at me--the beep that says, "you already hit that key!" I have no control over what it types. My only recourse is to restart, which works most of the time. Until yesterday.

This is going on 5 months of patiently trying a whole lot of solutions, none of which worked. Of course, it only happens intermittently which makes it a lot more difficult. I have, however called and spoken to an advisor while it was doing it, hoping that would help. Nope.

I've been through 5-6 Apple people for probably 7+ hours on the phone. They finally said make a genius bar appt and take it in. I did. The whole darn 27" thing. They gave me a new keyboard to try. Nope. They suggested I reinstall the latest system. I did. Nope.

I'm becoming pretty much fed up.

I will say, in all of the conversations I have had, I only ran into one rude woman. Every other representative has been pleasant and every one has, I think, tried very hard to make it work.

Unfortunately the last woman I spoke with, a senior advisor who gave me her phone number and extension, has not returned either my emails nor my phone messages.

So I am sort of screwed. When it happens, of course I cannot use my $2000+ machine. Fortunately I have a laptop or I'd be screaming bloody murder. Maybe I need to start screaming bloody murder. I want them to fix it or give me a new one. 5 months is enough.

Anyone else have a computer that writes on it's own? I sure would love any advice anyone can offer.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 9:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2016 11:07 PM

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago - except it was on my late 2012 Mac Mini on which I had just done a clean install of El Capitan. The Mac Mini was using the Apple bluetooth keyboard - like the one for the iMac.

I was only having the issue at the login screen - it would just repeatedly start typing in the password field. To solve it - and to see if was actually a problem with the keyboard - I switched to a wired keyboard - and the problem stopped. This somewhat told me that it was the keyboard. To troubleshoot further - I happened to have a spare identical keyboard - so I unpaired the bluetooth keyboard from the iMac and unpaired the problem keyboard from the Mac Mini. I paired the iMac blue tooth keyboard with the Mac Mini and paired the problem bluetooth keyboard with the iMac. I did an SMC reset, a PRAM/NVRAM reset and a Safe Boot on both the iMac and Mac Mini (as a precaution). The problem never happened again. I have not yet switched the keyboards back - and it has been a couple of weeks. If you don't have a spare wired or bluetooth keyboard - you could try the following:

1. Unpair the keyboard from your iMac.

2. Pair the keyboard with your iMac

3. Shutdown the iMac

4. Perform an SMC reset (for iMac you remove all peripherals from the iMac - unplug the power cord from the back of the iMac. Wait at least 15 seconds. Reattach the power cord to the iMac. Wait at least 5 seconds. Press the power on button.

5. When the iMac reboots - shut it down again.

6. Reset the PRAM (NVRAM) - by pressing the CMD OPTION P and R keys simultaneously after you hear the boot chime. Keep holding down the keys until you hear the chime again. Then keep holding down the keys until you hear one more chime. Release the keys - allow the iMac to boot.

7. Shutdown the iMac one more time.

8. Perform a safe boot by holding down the left shift key when you hear the boot chime. Keep holding the left shift key until you see the progress bar during the boot. At the login screen - there should be a red Safe Boot message in the top right corner of the screen. Allow the iMac to sit at the login screen for 5 minutes. Log in to the iMac - (it will be slower than normal). Allow the iMac to sit at the desktop for about 5 minutes - don't launch any apps. After 5 minutes - shutdown the iMac.

9. Start up the iMac normally and notice if the keyboard no longer types on its own.

~Scott

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2016 11:07 PM in response to Rebecca Jallings

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago - except it was on my late 2012 Mac Mini on which I had just done a clean install of El Capitan. The Mac Mini was using the Apple bluetooth keyboard - like the one for the iMac.

I was only having the issue at the login screen - it would just repeatedly start typing in the password field. To solve it - and to see if was actually a problem with the keyboard - I switched to a wired keyboard - and the problem stopped. This somewhat told me that it was the keyboard. To troubleshoot further - I happened to have a spare identical keyboard - so I unpaired the bluetooth keyboard from the iMac and unpaired the problem keyboard from the Mac Mini. I paired the iMac blue tooth keyboard with the Mac Mini and paired the problem bluetooth keyboard with the iMac. I did an SMC reset, a PRAM/NVRAM reset and a Safe Boot on both the iMac and Mac Mini (as a precaution). The problem never happened again. I have not yet switched the keyboards back - and it has been a couple of weeks. If you don't have a spare wired or bluetooth keyboard - you could try the following:

1. Unpair the keyboard from your iMac.

2. Pair the keyboard with your iMac

3. Shutdown the iMac

4. Perform an SMC reset (for iMac you remove all peripherals from the iMac - unplug the power cord from the back of the iMac. Wait at least 15 seconds. Reattach the power cord to the iMac. Wait at least 5 seconds. Press the power on button.

5. When the iMac reboots - shut it down again.

6. Reset the PRAM (NVRAM) - by pressing the CMD OPTION P and R keys simultaneously after you hear the boot chime. Keep holding down the keys until you hear the chime again. Then keep holding down the keys until you hear one more chime. Release the keys - allow the iMac to boot.

7. Shutdown the iMac one more time.

8. Perform a safe boot by holding down the left shift key when you hear the boot chime. Keep holding the left shift key until you see the progress bar during the boot. At the login screen - there should be a red Safe Boot message in the top right corner of the screen. Allow the iMac to sit at the login screen for 5 minutes. Log in to the iMac - (it will be slower than normal). Allow the iMac to sit at the desktop for about 5 minutes - don't launch any apps. After 5 minutes - shutdown the iMac.

9. Start up the iMac normally and notice if the keyboard no longer types on its own.

~Scott

Anyone else have an iMac that starts typing on its own?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.