Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server : invisible shared folder

Hi,

For several days i have a strange problem : my shared folder is invisible but the content can be reached from all my network. This folder is located on the main Harddrive, and doesn't appear in FINDER, meanwhile i can find the content when using search tool. Onced found with Spotlight i can browse the content on the server but the folder still not appear when i open a new Finder window.

At the same time, and i don't know if it's linked, all my computer have huge slowdowns when browsing the content in SMB mode, whereas it works fine in AFP.

My System is an up to date Yosemite + Server running on Mac Mini.

I don't know if upgrading to El Capitan, will fix this.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:00 PM

A few things that can make the folder hidden include starting it with a . and setting the hidden flag. If you started it with a ., then rename it. If it is tagged as hidden, you can use the chflags command to removed the hidden flag.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author - "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Advanced Services"

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 10:00 PM in response to Tom Chang

A few things that can make the folder hidden include starting it with a . and setting the hidden flag. If you started it with a ., then rename it. If it is tagged as hidden, you can use the chflags command to removed the hidden flag.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author - "El Capitan Server – Foundation Services"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Control & Collaboration"

Author - "El Capitan Server – Advanced Services"

Feb 6, 2016 10:47 AM in response to Tom Chang

Hi Tim

The way a network user sees a share folder is completely different than the way you would see that folder locally on the server.

I'm not sure where you expect to see the folder... you only mentioned that it is on the main hard drive.

I'll assume you are talking about one of the Finder sidebar sections.

Section: Favorites

You can drag folders into and out of this section.

If you used to see the shared Folder in Favorites, then perhaps you accidentally removed it.

Section: Shared

This shows -other- computers but never your own.

When you say others can see the shared folder but you can't - this makes me think you are looking in the Shared section.

Its normal for others to see your computer and shared folders in the shared section, but you won't see the same on your computer

So where is your shared folder? I'm not talking about where you see it, but where does it exist in the heiarachy of the hard drive?

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and paste this command to reveal the path of every shared folder on your computer(server).

sudo sharing -l

Navigate to the shared folder location and adjust preferences to make it appear where you want.

You might drag it to the Favorites section in the sidebar to make it appear there, or put an alias on your desktop or drag the folder to the right-section of your Dock and it will appear there. Where it appears is up to you.

Hope that helps

Jeff

OSX Server : invisible shared folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.