Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time capsule gives slow wifi

My TC is not reaching more than max 100 mbit speed with wifi even if I get 500 mbit with an ethernet cable directly connected to the TC. If I have understood it correctly the TC should be able to forward a speed up to 1000 mbit. Are there any settings I have to change in the airport tool? I have already made a hard reset on the TC and still not reaching more than max 100 mbit. Any ideas are appreciated!

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 2:12 AM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:21 PM in response to acecl

TC must be the latest AC version.

What is the wireless link speed you are achieving? Click on the wifi in the top menu area with the option key held down..

To get really fast wireless speed the computer must connect at >500mbit as wireless is extremely complicated in how it shares bandwidth.. ie it is first of all half duplex.. so it can never go faster than about 1/2 the link speed.. then it is inefficient so that means it loses almost another 50%.. then it shares with all the other computers that use wireless..

Feb 6, 2016 12:56 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi again,

Sorry but I do not know what is meant with "AC version"?

The wireless speed I am getting is around 50-100 mbit. When streaming a movie and playing online on playstation at the same time the speed is not enough and the picture freezes. This should not be the case when the modem gives 500 mbit sent to the router. Is there any settings I have to make in the router to maximize the speed?

Feb 6, 2016 1:12 PM in response to acecl

AC wireless.. it is worst possible name they could have come up with, since it is universally used for Alternating Current. ie normal mains power.

But the new AC version TC and Airport are these ones. This is the only one that can reach speeds up to 500mbps and only on 5ghz and only on AC client device and only at a range of about 5M or less. On a good day with no interference.

User uploaded file

The older model TC is flat.. It can never achieve real world wireless speeds above about 100mbps.. again on a very good day.

User uploaded file

Feb 6, 2016 3:03 PM in response to LaPastenague

It is the AC version that I have got - not the flat one. Have not though connected it to 5 ghz. Will try that tomorrow.

I actually just went to the store tonight and bought a ASUS RT-AC68U. It is up and running now but have not tested if the picture still will freeze when we are both streaming a movie and playing playstation online. Do you know if PS4 is an AC client?

Time capsule gives slow wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.