Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yahoo Mail for iPhone sending SPAM

Hi Apple iPhone Community,

This query relates to a friend who has had both an iPhone 5 and now an iPhone 6. They use the Yahoo Mail for iPhone App and I (as well as others) have previously (and more recently) received SPAM e-mail from this address. One of the solutions I tried was to get them to change their Password (on PC) to ensure that their Yahoo Mail Username and Password hadn't been hacked / compromised. This worked for a little while, but I have found out today that others are still receiving SPAM (from 4/2/2016). If anyone can offer any suggestions, this would be extremely helpful. I'm not sure if removing the Yahoo Mail for iPhone App is one of the options that I really want to go with.

Many thanks to all those who help with this problem.

Michael

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 1:19 AM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 1:59 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks Rudegar,

I sat down with the person who owns the iPhone and we specifically changed the password (on PC) to have both upper/lower case letters, a symbol and numbers. I find it hard to believe that this would be able to cracked / hacked (unless there was a keylogger on the PC, but I scanned it fully for viruses and malware). Any other suggestions?

Michael

Feb 6, 2016 3:31 AM in response to AKRBTN

Hi AKRBTN,

I did receive an e-mail that was sent to a Gmail e-mail address that was spoofing, but it was very concerning that they had my name and were very specific in their request to have some money transferred straight away (as though they knew that I was the treasurer of the sporting club that I belong to). Given that what you have suggested in likely to be occurring (i.e. spammers are spoofing it), how can it be put to a stop? I have had all of the e-mails that are supposedly sent from this Yahoo Mail account sent to me, so if you are able to make any sense of these, then this would be extremely helpful.

Kind regards

Michael

Feb 7, 2016 10:38 AM in response to Michael_2016

Spammers pretending to be friends frequently go for the "I'm in desperate trouble, send me some money" tactic. I doubt they know anything about you that you haven't already volunteered (like the fact that you're a treasurer of a sports club!). They get names and other info from everywhere on the internet.. There's a reason why the moderators on here remove any personal information they spot.

Yahoo Mail for iPhone sending SPAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.