Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get iPhoto back? Photos does not do any of things I needed iPhoto for.

With iPhoto I could easily control the images I wanted to upload and save.

I could order them by year. Within each year I could order them by event name and date. I could quickly and easily edit images - this morning I have spent 3 hours trying to straighten an image. This cannot be done in Photos. I even reverted to pasting my image into Windows P{powerpoint to try to level the image to an absolutely horizontal plane....no success there either!

What can I do? I now haw about 25000 images in a total jumble and another 45,000 that I managed to save from being eaten by Photos that are carefully stored on Mac that I haven't dared to update. What can I do? I need these images, I used them everyday for my work. I need them where I can find them, when I want them in a sequential order, ready edited, and not just picked by an op from a phone that I snapped my parking lot number on when at the airport car park.

This is serious.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:39 AM

iPHoto is not gone - you have it in your Applications folder and it works just fine (for now - sooner or later a future upgrade will break it) if you are up to date - you need the current version 9.6.1 - if you do not keep things up to date see Can't Update iPhoto because it is not available in the App Store

LN

6 replies

Feb 6, 2016 10:45 AM in response to lasserre

I could order them by year. Within each year I could order them by event name and date. I could quickly and easily edit images - this morning I have spent 3 hours trying to straighten an image. This cannot be done in Photos

All of these things can be done in Photos.

Remember you can search the Library, even from the media browser window.

Perhaps you might consider looking again at Photos and just not expecting to be the same as iPhoto.

Feb 6, 2016 12:15 PM in response to lasserre

I could order them by year.

User uploaded file

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there is a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

NOTE: It's been reported by several users that if the Event albums are moved out of the iPhoto Library folder in the sidebar they may disappear. It's not widespread but several users have reported that issue. Therefore, if you want to assure that you keep those Event albums don't move them outside the iPhoto Events folder.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

Albums and smart albums can be sorted by Title, by Date with oldest first and by Date with newest first.

this morning I have spent 3 hours trying to straighten an image. This cannot be done in Photos.

In the Crop window:

User uploaded file

You just have to take some time to learn the new paradigm of Photos.

User uploaded file

Feb 8, 2016 11:13 AM in response to LarryHN

LN, Thank you, but unfortunately, it is not in my Applications folder. I kept my libraries on a La Cie 6TB hard disc. I had error messages on My iMac and did a complete erase disc and reload of software etc. Unfortunately when I loaded El Capitan, it came without iPhoto. Thank you very much though for sending that link to reload iPhoto. I shall do that this evening.

Lasserre

Feb 8, 2016 11:23 AM in response to Yer_Man

You are absolutely right Terence. Thank you. I guess I was just frustrated. I'm 65 years old and don't really have enough time left in y life to be able to waste it learning new stuff that I am not going to benefit from! That's why I wanted to cling to the old. I don't want to spend hours learning new programmes. I want to use the knowledge I have gained. But you are right. I will look at Photos again! Thank you.

Lasserre

Feb 8, 2016 11:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Many thanks Old Toad for a very detailed reply. As you may have seen in earlier replies, I have admitted my frustration at not being able to do something quickly on an old familiar programme and am committed to learn more about iPhoto. But as I seaid in my earlier reply. I am running out of time for that. I need to be able to do what I need to do now so I can get on and enjoy my life!

How can I get iPhoto back? Photos does not do any of things I needed iPhoto for.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.