Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slowly MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Hello my MacBook Pro has almost 5 years and i'm thinking in format it and change the SO for another one. But before, I want to know what's the best Mac OS X for my mac, namely which consume less resources.

Thanks. I hope your answer.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 4:14 AM

5 replies

Feb 6, 2016 4:19 AM in response to amguno

The most efficient OSX from Apple is Snow Leoprad (10.6.8). Be aware that there may be applications that you are running with El Capitan, that will not run with Snow Leopard.

Ciao.

Addendum: An early 2011 MBP should be able to run El Capitan reasionably well. Download and post an Etrecheck report. That may offer some clues for speeding up your MBP.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Feb 6, 2016 4:38 AM in response to amguno

I have three MBPs, that have the following OSXs installed: Mt. Lion, Mavericks and El Capitan. They all run efficiently and I cannot discern any meaningful differences among them in terms of response times.

If you have a concern about support, then I advise you stay with El Capitan and just make certain that your MBP is configured to maximize performance. As I indicated before, by posting an Etrecheck report is a good place to start. Also describe any specific symptoms that you are experiencing and any other relevant information:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Even though though Snow Leopard is 'old', there still are many people still using the OSX successfully.

Ciao.

Feb 6, 2016 8:34 AM in response to amguno

amguno wrote:

The reason that I'm not sure of install Snow Leopard is because I'm an student of things like programming and 3D, and I don't know if all my programs like Xcode, Eclipse, Java, Oracle SQL, etc. will run

I understand your concern regarding compatibility and I made mention of that in my initial response. I am not recommending that you install Snow Leopard, I am only saying that it is the most efficient OSX.

If all of your required applications run on El Capitan, then that probably is your best option. Be aware that Mavericks and Yosemite will only be available if you had them installed previously (they would be in your App store account). They no longer are available otherwise. That leaves you with Lion,. Mt. Lion and El Capitan as available OSXs newer than Snow Leopard to choose from.

Ciao.

Slowly MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.