Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red spots on 27" 5k iMac

I have the 5k iMac, 27" 4.0GHz processor with the M395X video card. I'm getting random red spots on the screen that seem to be software rather than hardware. any suggestions?

they're random in position and when they show up, although they almost always show on the log on screen. User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 4:42 AM

1 reply

Feb 7, 2016 11:10 AM in response to Chrisvklein

Hi there ChrisvKlein,

It looks like you are getting some red pixelations on your screen. I would reset your PRAM first:

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on your Mac.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
  5. Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
  6. Release the keys.

After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information.

Then test the issue again. If it persists then I would next reset the SMC on your computer:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

Test the issue one more time. If it still isn't resolved I would next boot to safe mode, to flush some system level caches and perform a disk check and repair if needed:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

When you boot into safe mode, thats all that should be needed so leave it with a normal restart from the Apple menu and make sure the issue does not return. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Red spots on 27" 5k iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.