Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari bookmarks are not syncing

I want to sync bookmarks from my macbook to iPhone, but it didn't work.

I then tried to delete all my bookmarks in my macbook and iPhone, however the folder are reload after I delete many times.

I have also tried to deselect the iCloud 'safari' sync in all my apple devices. It didn't work at all.

The folder are just keep coming back again.

Thanks for any advices! 😕

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 3:29 AM

7 replies

Feb 7, 2016 1:51 AM in response to Kosakiye

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy it to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Quit Safari.

Select

Go â–¹ Go to Folder

from the Finder menu bar. Paste into the text box that opens by pressing command-V, then press return.

A folder window should open with a file named "Bookmarks.plist" selected. Move the selected file to the Desktop, leaving the folder open.

Relaunch Safari. It will open with the default set of bookmarks. Delete them all. Select

File â–¹ Import From â–¹ Bookmarks HTML File... (or Import Bookmarks...)

from the Safari menu bar. Import from the bookmarks file you moved to the Desktop. The bookmarks will appear in a new folder with a name that begins in "Imported" and ends with the date. Arrange them as you wish.

If Safari now performs normally, you can delete the old bookmarks file. Otherwise, quit Safari again and put back the file you moved, replacing the newer one with the same name. Close the Finder window and post your results.

Feb 7, 2016 1:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your reply! The folders aren't coming back again and I can edit the bookmarks on my cmputer, nonetheless, in my phone, after I connect to iCloud, the folders are appeared again. I checked that my macbook and phone are connected to the iCloud, but the bookmarks cannot be sync to my phone. There is another problem. Not only the bookmarks cannot be sync, but also the reading list.

Feb 7, 2016 10:27 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same issues. Macbook Pro late 2011 El Capitan 10.11.3. I spent most of yesterday with iCloud sync switched off on all my devices, editing bookmarks on my mac and re-enabling iCloud sync, but the bookmarks don't sync to iCloud. I just get old versions back all the time.

And on my iPad I now have a different version from the Mac - half missing, and no bookmarks at all on my iPhone.

When I go to iCloud and select 'restore bookmarks' I can see the latest archived version is Jan 18th so they haven't updated since then. My calendar, contacts etc are showing archived versions as of this morning.

I'm just about ready to revert to Yosemite.

safari bookmarks are not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.