Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use older time capsule for storage only with a new airport extreme (want the newer AC standard)?

I have an older Time Capsule (802.11n). I would like to know if I can still use this Time Capsule only as a network storage device if I decide to provision my network with a new Airport Extreme (802.11ac). If I can do this, how would I set up the network to continue automatic backups with an update router?

iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 6:04 AM

To do what you want, the new AirPort Extreme 802.11ac would be installed as the "main" network router. The Time Capsule would be connected to the AirPort Extreme using a wired Ethernet cable connection and the Time Capsule would be configured to operate in Bridge Mode with the wireless function turned off.

Any Macs that you want to back up to the Time Capsule would need to have Time Machine Preferences on each Mac adjusted to make sure that the Time Capsule was set as the target for backups.

If you decide to add the AirPort Extreme, post back for more info at that time if you need step by step setup instructions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 6:04 AM in response to rhale4

To do what you want, the new AirPort Extreme 802.11ac would be installed as the "main" network router. The Time Capsule would be connected to the AirPort Extreme using a wired Ethernet cable connection and the Time Capsule would be configured to operate in Bridge Mode with the wireless function turned off.

Any Macs that you want to back up to the Time Capsule would need to have Time Machine Preferences on each Mac adjusted to make sure that the Time Capsule was set as the target for backups.

If you decide to add the AirPort Extreme, post back for more info at that time if you need step by step setup instructions.

Feb 12, 2016 8:12 AM in response to rhale4

Bob,

Looks like everything us up a running OK. Air Port Extreme 802.11ac is the base station in bridge mode. Time Capsule is connected via Ethernet cable and wireless off. My only problem now is that I am having difficulty provisioning Time Capsule for my computer. I had access to Time Capsule when wireless was still on. But now I can't find it on the network connected to Air Port Extreme 802.11ac.

Feb 12, 2016 9:11 AM in response to rhale4

When you change functions on an AirPort router or Time Capsule, it is always best to reset the device back to factory default settings, and then set it up again. I'm not sure if you did this or not.

If you open AirPort Utility on your Mac, and click on the Time Capsule, does a smaller window appear with an Edit option? If yes, and you click on the Edit box, do tabs for settings appear at the top of the next window.......Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks?

Feb 12, 2016 10:36 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Looks like everything us up a running OK. Air Port Extreme 802.11ac is the base station in bridge mode. Time Capsule is connected via Ethernet cable and wireless off. My only problem now is that I am having difficulty provisioning Time Capsule for my computer. I had access to Time Capsule when wireless was still on. But now I can't find it on the network connected to Air Port Extreme 802.11ac.

Feb 12, 2016 10:52 AM in response to rhale4

When you change functions on an AirPort router or Time Capsule, it is always best to reset the device back to factory default settings, and then set it up again. I'm not sure if you did this or not.

Can you clarify on that?

If you open AirPort Utility on your Mac, and click on the Time Capsule, does a smaller window appear with an Edit option? If yes, and you click on the Edit box, do tabs for settings appear at the top of the next window.......Base Station, Internet, Wireless, Network, Disks?

Can you clarify on that?

If needed, is it possible for you connect an Ethernet cable from a Mac to one of the three LAN <--> ports on the Time Capsule......to check some settings that way?

Can I use older time capsule for storage only with a new airport extreme (want the newer AC standard)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.