Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is internet and server dropping from network

When online on my Macbook Air, I frequently find the internet connection has dropped, and looking in Network Preferences/ Assist Me/Diagnostics, I find Internet and Server buttons shown yellow in Status. I can almost always easily reconnect these by clicking Continue and re-selecting the wireless network (a 5 Ghz one, but same problem exists with my non-5 Ghz Network) , then I click Always Allow to let Network Diagnostics access Key to selected Network in my Keychain.

This very often works fine in a few seconds, so not a big problem but sometimes very annoying as it can happen several times in a short period or during one day, and then not at all for hours or days, but often it is almost every day.

Here's a list of equipment etc:

Macbook Air 10.10.5, Imac 10.10.5, VirginMedia superhub, Airport Extreme (in bridge mode), Airport Express (nearest to me), Apple TV (often turned off), iPhone 6s.

Problem is really only apparent on Macbook Air, as iMac has ethernet connection (though Wifi also in operation usually). iPhone6 seems to have no problem with wifi internet at home or elsewhere.

I quite often have other problems in my Wifi system, however, recently especially when using Apple TV, such as Airport Extreme and Express and even modem dropping off Airport utility, which I always manage to fix eventually by various re-starts and resets. But the one above is the most frequent, being almost a daily occurrence at least once or twice.

I have tried choosing different channels in Airport Utility for both Networks Airport Extreme and Express but this made the connection incredibly slow (normally it is 36Mbps on Macbook). I also turned off IPv6 on all devices (or put on link-local) , and this seemed to help with Apple TV problem seems to have had no effect on this.

I also turned off Bluetooth on Macbook while writing this, but problem has already happened several more times already.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 5:48 AM

15 replies

Feb 6, 2016 8:38 AM in response to funkster

This has been happening to my wife (more than to me) for some time now. I hadn't thought to check this forum till now. We have Airport Extreme in Bridge mode connected to Comcast cable modem (not sure of the make/model right now) and connecting devices include Macbook Pro Retina, Macbook Air, 2 iPhone 6, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, not to mention a number of non-Apple devices. She has the problem most often on MacBookAir and iPad Air. Turns off WiFi for a few seconds then back on again and then things work OK. This seems to happen multiple times per day and might be happening right after waking up a sleeping device.

All devices are up to latest version of MacOSX and iOS

Another problem which may be related has to do with Airport Express in "Client" mode. Set up to provide wired ethernet port for a device away from the main router. Note that in that mode, it is not (supposed to be) providing a wifi signal, just ethernet access in its port. This appears to be working, but fairly often, maybe once a day, it kills wifi in its immediate area. If I am in the room with it and lose wifi then go to a location closer to the main router I'm back on line again.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or cures anyone might have on either of these problems.

Ed

Feb 6, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Tesserax

I'm not sure what you are calling the "super hub: Is that the Comcast cable modem/router? We do not use its wifi capability, so if we disconnect the Apple routers, we would not have Internet access. Have not tried using the MacBook Air in other networks enough to know if the problem exists.

The Airport Express had been disconnected for the past 12 hours or so but the other disconnect problems continue.

Just for the record, other network devices include Nest Thermostat, Nest Dropcam, Nest Alert, Amazon Echo, VeraLite Z-wave controller, a couple of Belkin WeMo devices, and AppleTV 4. Until recently, Echo was communicating well with WeMo, but cannot discover it now.

Feb 6, 2016 9:38 AM in response to Edward Evans1

Sorry, but I was responding to the original poster (OP) of this post, not you. So my reply is aimed at what they claimed that they have. I haven't looked at your specific issue, which may or may not be directly related to that of the OP's.

To make sure that you get a response it is always best to start a new post so you can get a "dedicated" set of responses to, hopefully, a solution for your case.

Feb 6, 2016 11:10 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks Tesserax, regarding whether the Macbook air has any issues connecting to other Wi-Fi networks, my only experience with that is in various hotels, where as we all know the wifi is sometimes not too reliable, but I can't say I've noticed any issues that seem to stem from the macbook, rather than the hotel wifi. Nothing like this morning for example, when I wrote, and the internet/server disconnect was occurring every few minutes.

As regards removing the two Apple base-stations, this is something I've never tried, seems like it might be quite involved to set up and later switch back again, with all the devices I have, but I could experiment with it. Right now, the Virgin Superhub is just functioning as a modem, fed into the Airport Extreme by ethernet cable. Are you suggesting it may the signal I am getting in the first place from Virgin?

Feb 6, 2016 11:21 AM in response to funkster

If I understand the correct model of Super Hub that you have it is a combination modem & wireless router. By default it would be broadcasting a Wi-Fi network which your MBA should be able to find and gain Internet access from. Can it? ... and can it do so without any issues?

The reason for temporarily removing the AirPort base stations is to see, whether or not, the Super Hub might be the issue. You just need to power-off both units for this step. Please post back your results.

Feb 8, 2016 2:07 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi, many thanks for help; as you suggested I set up the Macbook Air to gain internet access directly from the Superhub, rather than the Wi-Fi network being generated by the Airport Extreme . I also turned off the Airport Extreme and Airport Express.

As far as I can tell in the few hours I have had this set up, the Server and Internet dropping-off-the-network problem seems to have got better, with no dropping of Server and Internet shown in Network Status every few minutes.

However, I’m pretty confused as to where to go from here, as I need to get my Airport Extreme and Airport Express configuration and the associated Wifi network back into play. In particular, the Airport Express, which is linked by ethernet/homeplug to the Airport Extreme, is extending the Airport Extreme network into my living area. This is somewhat separated from where the Superhub and Airport Express are. I need that for Airplay in living area and also it seems to help Apple TV in same area, though that is also on Homeplug connection.

The Airport Extreme is set to Bridge mode, with the Superhub issuing IP addresses via the Airport Extreme and also putting out its own wireless network. This has worked OK for the last few years except for the Dropouts I am referring to,which have got especially bad recently.

I used to have the Airport Extreme distributing IP addresses, and the Superhub in modem-only mode, which worked, but was even more troublesome, giving "Double NAT” errors frequently, which is why I switched to Bridge mode. Perhaps I should go back to that, and try to eliminate the Double NAT problem. Then, of course the SH would not then be outputting its own network, as it would need to be in modem-only mode.

Feb 8, 2016 3:23 AM in response to Tesserax

As an update: I have now re-instigated the Airport Extreme and Express, with the same settings, and am finding everything going somewhat crazy, much worse than yesterday.

First, I am watching Airport Utility, and now, with the Airport Extreme etc re-powered, the Network is sometimes all showing green buttons and properly configured. Then after a minute or two or even a few seconds, various devices are going to yellow/disconnected, most often the Superhub/internet connection. Then, it all suddenly comes back to normal again, before reverting soon after. Even attempting to switch network on one device possibly seemed to disconnect the Superhub or others.

Also, one or more devices (imac in particular) renamed itself several times (e.b. xxx Imac 1, xxx Imac 2 etc). Currently, in Sharing prefs, imac is showing as xxxImac (4). A few minutes ago it was also saying "computers on your local network can access your computer at xxx Imac 841", having first shown several other numbers here. Now, after I had to refresh Network again it changed to iMac 843, after saying 841 was already in use.

I haven't changed anything in the system recently to have caused all this, as far as I know, and it has worked reasonably OK for years till quite recently. I’ve now turned off AE etc and am just using Superhub again.

Feb 8, 2016 12:55 PM in response to funkster

As far as I can tell in the few hours I have had this set up, the Server and Internet dropping-off-the-network problem seems to have got better, with no dropping of Server and Internet shown in Network Status every few minutes.

Ok, great! You have now verified that you have a stable network with just the Super Hub.

However, I’m pretty confused as to where to go from here, as I need to get my Airport Extreme and Airport Express configuration and the associated Wifi network back into play.

As I mentioned earlier, we needed to verify the Super Hub. Now that has been completed, we need to go on with adding the AirPort Extreme to the network next. Once that is successful, we can add the Express.

• While the AirPort Extreme is still powered-down, connect an Ethernet cable between your Super Hub and the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the Extreme. What we will be doing is configuring the Super Hub and Extreme for a roaming network.
  • Power-up the Extreme and allow it time to initialize. Since you last configured it as a bridge, which we want, we still need to do a few more configuration steps.
  • Run the AirPort Utility, and select the Extreme.
  • Click on Edit, and then, go to the Network tab. Verify that Router Mode is: Off (Bridge Mode)
  • Next go to the Wireless tab. Verify that Network mode is: Create a wireless network
  • Enter the Super Hub's wireless network name in the Wireless Network Name field.
  • Enter the Super Hub's wireless security type in the Wireless Security field. Note use WPA2 Personal if the Hub is configured for WPA2.
  • Enter the Super Hub's wireless security password in both the Wireless Password & Verify Password fields.
  • Next go to the Internet tab. Verify that Connect Using is: DHCP
  • Click on Update and allow the Extreme to restart and initialize.

Once restarted the Extreme should now be broadcasting its own Wi-Fi network, but since it is using the same network name and security as the Super Hub's network, wireless network clients will "see" it as one network.

Again, verify that you can get Internet access in this configuration and it is stable. Please post back your results.

Feb 8, 2016 12:58 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tessserax, many, many thanks for this.

I have been going slightly nuts all day trying to get things working by myself to no avail, but this seems to have done the trick:

1) creating a wireless network with the same as that on the Superhub has given a stable network for the last 30 mins, and a good speed in my living-room (separated from where the Superhub modem and Extreme are) of about 50% of speed right next to modem, which is about 50mbps.

2) lacking patience, I then went a step further and applied the same to my Airport Express in the living-room, (same name and password) though this gave an error first of all in Airport Utility apparently because I had chosen an"Extend Network" setup (which is how I did things with my previous networks). I changed this to "Create a Network" and I have just now been getting the full 50mbps in my living-room, which is quite a bit better than before.

Can you just confirm that was the right approach with the Express however? Also, the issue of wireless Security is confusing as on the Superhub they use terms like WPA-PSK[AES]. That is the one I chose to suit WPA2 Personal in Airport Utility, although there was also WPA Auto and WPA/WPA Enterprise. Does that seem right? Everything seems to be working, so I guess so.

I am still mystified as to why my previous setup suddenly went haywire, also why my Imac was earlier changing its Network name every 2 minutes , but I now seem to have arrived a much better outcome than before, so many thanks again! I'll continue to monitor and post back here if any further issues.

all the best

Feb 8, 2016 1:43 PM in response to funkster

1) creating a wireless network with the same as that on the Superhub has given a stable network for the last 30 mins, and a good speed in my living-room (separated from where the Superhub modem and Extreme are) of about 50% of speed right next to modem, which is about 50mbps.

That would be the correct setup for both of these devices.

2) lacking patience, I then went a step further and applied the same to my Airport Express in the living-room, (same name and password) though this gave an error first of all in Airport Utility apparently because I had chosen an"Extend Network" setup (which is how I did things with my previous networks). I changed this to "Create a Network" and I have just now been getting the full 50mbps in my living-room, which is quite a bit better than before.

Can you just confirm that was the right approach with the Express however?

No problem, I know you want to get this done quickly. That is correct, the proper setting for each base station in a roaming network is to have them configured for "Create a wireless network." ... an yes, this would be the right approach for the Express. Note that the Express only has 100 Mbps Ethernet ports so it will not perform as well as the Extreme which has 1000 Mbps ones.

Also, the issue of wireless Security is confusing as on the Superhub they use terms like WPA-PSK[AES]. That is the one I chose to suit WPA2 Personal in Airport Utility, although there was also WPA Auto and WPA/WPA Enterprise. Does that seem right?

Unfortunately different manufacturers don't always use the same terminology, especially when it comes to wireless security types. I have provided a terminology comparison table below to, hopefully, help. You can safely ignore the Enterprise options as these are designed to be used in conjunction with RADIUS servers. These would be more common in business or educational institutions.

Non-Apple Routers Apple Routers Encryption Quality

WPA-PSK or TKIP WPA/WPA2 Personal Good

WPA-PSK[AES] WPA2 Personal Best

... so you picked the best option for security! Good job!

Why is internet and server dropping from network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.