Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make my Magic Trackpad scroll again and also how to make the trackpad discoverable again?

Recently upgraded our ageing mac mini to OS X El Capitan and now the Magic Trackpad won't scroll. It points. It clicks. But no scroll. When I look in system preferences under trackpads the mac cannot see the trackpad, even though I am using the trackpad to navigate. When I try to connect it in bluetooth preferences I get a spinning wheel, but it does not connect. How do I get the mac to a.) see the trackpad again and b.) scroll? NB. Trackpad has new batteries and it is switched on.

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 5:30 AM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 6:04 AM in response to seventy one

Probably should have specified that it was not a Magic Trackpad 2.... Just a plain old Magic Trackpad. Mac mini still fits within the specs for the newer model though. Just a bit annoying considering all was working fine prior to the upgrade. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone else out there has some ideas on how to fix it.

Feb 6, 2016 7:17 AM in response to j_no82

I fixed it!

Step 1.) Option click the Bluetooth symbol in the menu bar. Scroll down the list of bluetooth devices and hover over trackpad to bring up side menu. Click Remove.

Step 2.) Remove all USB devices from mac.

Step 3.) Turn off mac and disconnect power cable. Walk away from the mac. Make a cup of tea/coffee or alternatively, wait 5 minutes.

Step 4.) Reconnect power cable and turn the mac back on. After a little wait you will be back to the desktop screen and a dialogue box should appear asking you to connect a trackpad.

Step 5.) Press the power button on the side of the trackpad for 3 seconds to turn it on. Because the trackpad is not paired with any device the light should double flash. About a minute wait and the mac finally finds the trackpad and connects. Success! The mac can see the trackpad and scroll is back!

Hooray!

How do I make my Magic Trackpad scroll again and also how to make the trackpad discoverable again?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.