Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine – reformatting drive problem

Hi,

I have recently started using a new external drive for Time Machine with encryption. I would like to encrypt another drive that I have been using for Time Machine for several years without encryption. So, I went to Disk Utilities etc. and reformatted the drive. Everything seemed to go ok, except that when I open Time Machine (and it does that 1970s “Dr Who” thing!), it seems to be “remembering” some earlier back-ups, although it won’t let me access them. Surely, the drive could not have been formatted properly.

I notice that in Utilities, is shows the disc has two “levels”, both of the same name – as if “a folder in a folder”. I suppose this relates to the disc having one partition, but I'm not sure. The "lower” item can be reformatted, but the top item cannot. I want to delete the whole disc and start again. Please can anyone advise me on what to do / what I am doing wrong?

Related to this: I noticed that the disc can be encrypted in Disc Utilities when being formatted, although I had ignored that and encrypted it in Time Machine instead. Does it make a difference?

Thank you!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2016 2:28 AM

While in Time Machine, to see all mounted volumes shift - command - c. Information learned from Linc Davis.

What happens when you select the top drive?

9 replies

Feb 11, 2016 7:50 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. It was the lower partition that I was trying to erase. Actually, I tried both but originally was only able to erase the lower partition.

Update: A couple of days ago I deleted all the contents of the drive via Finder, and then went to Disc Utilities and was able to erase both levels. See the first two screenshots below. The higher level lost the name assigned by me (a good sign) but the lower level remained with the name assigned by me.

But when I enter Time Machine, there still seems to be a lot there (please see the third screenshot below) even though I can’t access any of it. It’s not like a new drive at all, even though when I open the drive in Finder it is empty.

I now use 3 different drives for Time Machine. I’m wondering if what is shown in the third screenshot below is actually my MacBook’s record of the three drives, and not just this one drive? Any ideas?

Thank you!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Feb 12, 2016 1:35 AM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric, Yes, having erased the drive in Finder, and then going to Disc Utilities and erasing it there (re-formatting rather than simply "erasing" as far as I understand, although Apple calls it "erase"), I then opened Time machine and the "third screenshot" above (the screenshot immediately above) is what was shown. It looks to me like it's not been erased / formatted. Unless I am right in thinking that what is shown is actually my MacBook’s record of the three drives that I use for TM.

Time Machine – reformatting drive problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.