Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need an Advice

Hey, I wanna pay External hard disk and put it in my country and when traveling, I would access to it ,so what is your recommendation

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:14 AM

If I understand your question, you want to be able to access an external hard drive on your local network from a remote location ... correct?

If so, then you will need to provide a lot more information in order for any of us to help you.

As a minimum, please provide the following:

• Does your ISP provide you with a static or dynamic public IP address?
  • Does this external hard drive connected by USB or Ethernet?
  • What is the hard drive connected to ... computer, router, stand-alone?
  • What will you be accessing it with? Mac, PC, iOS device, etc.?
  • What are you accessing it for? File access, music or video streaming, etc.?
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 9:14 AM in response to WEQAK

If I understand your question, you want to be able to access an external hard drive on your local network from a remote location ... correct?

If so, then you will need to provide a lot more information in order for any of us to help you.

As a minimum, please provide the following:

• Does your ISP provide you with a static or dynamic public IP address?
  • Does this external hard drive connected by USB or Ethernet?
  • What is the hard drive connected to ... computer, router, stand-alone?
  • What will you be accessing it with? Mac, PC, iOS device, etc.?
  • What are you accessing it for? File access, music or video streaming, etc.?

Feb 6, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for your reply,

You understand my question right. Unfortunately, I don't have answers for most of your questions but I'll do my best in answering,

• I don't understand you but I think no because just I want to put the external Hard disk in my apartment in my country home.
  • I prefer connection by Wifi but if not, Ethernet will be Okay.
  • Stand alone.
  • iMac,IpadPro,Iphones,Kindel Fire,Samsung Tablet and actually any smart devices that I have.
  • I'm looking for full access files, documents,photos music and video streaming.

Finally,

one my friend told me about hard disk work like that but unfortunately I don't know where it's hide!!

Thanks,

Feb 6, 2016 9:41 AM in response to WEQAK

I don't understand you but I think no because just I want to put the external Hard disk in my apartment in my country home.

In order for you to be able to reach your hard drive from a remote location you need to know the public IP address of your router. This address is provided to you by your Internet Service Provider or ISP. They will either provide you a dedicated or static IP or one that changes over time. The latter is the most common. Which you get will determine how you are going to be able to find your hard drive. So this is an important question to answer. If you don't know ask your ISP.

I prefer connection by Wifi but if not, Ethernet will be Okay.

Sorry, I am asking how you currently connect this hard drive to your local network. That is, do you have it connected to a computer or an Apple base station by USB cable? ... or by Ethernet wire, or by wireless?

Stand alone.

Ok, what is its make & model number please?

iMac,IpadPro,Iphones,Kindel Fire,Samsung Tablet and actually any smart devices that I have.

How you will connect these devices will be different, and again, it will be important to get the answer to the first question I asked.

I'm looking for full access files, documents,photos music and video streaming.

Accessing files, documents, photos, and music streaming does not take a lot of bandwidth. Video streaming, on the other hand, does. How well you are going to be able to do so properly will depend on three things:

1. The upload speed that your ISP is providing you.
  2. The current state of the Internet connection between you and your home.
  3. The download speed of the Internet connection at your remote location.

The combination of the above will determine how well you will be able to receive the data.

I need an Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.