Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Selected File After Deleting Different File

Finder seems to have this annoying "feature" when deleting files from a folder. I'm trying to look through a bunch of pictures on a SD card and delete the bad ones before I import them into iPhoto. I arrow up and down the list of files in the folder and hit Command+Delete to remove the bad ones individually and sometimes select multiple files at once to delete. After I delete, no file is selected (highlighted) in the folder anymore, so I have use the mouse to select a file before I can proceed with using the arrow keys to continue my clean-up. If I forget to use the mouse to select a file again and just hit the arrow key, finder will jump to the first or last file in the folder and I have to scroll up/down to find out where I left off. Very very rarely, when selecting multiple selected files, the next file in the list will be selected, essentially doing what I want it to do.

Yes, it's pretty simple to reach for the mouse and select a file again, but when doing this thousands of times, it's rather annoying. Any tips?

Sorry if this is a dup. I've done a dozen plus searches for this problem and not finding anything. Thank you!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:34 AM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2016 8:42 AM in response to sea.level

And of course I figure it out after opening my mouth on a forum. You simply use the Right/Left arrows rather than using the Up/Down arrows. I guess I'm an Up/Down arrow guy and it burnt me. Ugh.

Since I didn't find anything out there on this topic, which must make me dumb, I'll leave this up here for a few days to see if anyone things it's helpful and remove if not.

Sorry for the noise.

Finder Selected File After Deleting Different File

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.