Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought new apple earpods/earphones for my ipod shuffle 3rd gen. I can here my music but the remote does not adjust the volume or allow me to select etc

Bought new earpods/earphones for my 3rd generation ipod shuffle. I can hear the music with them but the remote buttons are not allowing me to change volume or select tunes etc.

I connected the ipod to itunes on my laptop and updated it but it has made no difference.

iPod shuffle, 3rd genertion

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:30 AM

1 reply

Feb 6, 2016 4:23 PM in response to macqquinn

Apple EarPods are not compatible with 3rd gen iPod shuffle. The product listing at Apple for the EarPods

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD827LL/A/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

only lists the 4th gen shuffle under Compatibility. The previous Apple "Earphones" do work with 3rd gen shuffle, as noted in this document

Compatibility of Apple wired headset models with iPhone, iPad, and iPod models - Apple Support

You may be able to find the older version online or in stock at retailers.

As an alternative, you can buy an "adapter" that has the playback control buttons. For example

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Headphone-Control-Adapter-iPod/dp/B003A5AXP4

There are other similar products, but I use this one as the example because the description specifically says, "Fully compatible with iPod shuffle (3rd generation)." With an adapter, you can connect any standard headphones, including the EarPods.

I bought new apple earpods/earphones for my ipod shuffle 3rd gen. I can here my music but the remote does not adjust the volume or allow me to select etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.