Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy and Paste Combined Data So Just Values Show

Hi!

I have a spreadsheet that needs to go into a template. In my original spreadsheet, I had a column for first names and a column for last names. I combined those to form one column with full names, and I'm trying to copy the values from that combined column so it will go into the template spreadsheet. Is there a way to do this? I've tried copying it into something like Pages, but it just shows up as a table column with little triangles freaking out that the original first two columns aren't there. I've tried searching for someone else having this problem without any luck.

Thanks!

Katie

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 10:14 AM

HI Katie,

Copying the contents of a cell containing a formula always copies the formula and the result.

You can then choose to Paste, which pastes the formula into the target cell and displays the result of the formula's recalculation from that location. (In your case, an error message.)

OR

You can choose Paste Formula Results (from the Edit menu), which pastes only the last calculated result of the formula. (In your case, the list of combined first and last names.)

Regards,

Barry

PS: If you want that list in Pages, but as a list , not as a table, do this:

Select the cells with the combined names in Numbers, Copy.

Click on the page in a Pages document. Go Edit (menu) > Paste Plain Text (Pages 5) or Paste and Match Style (Pages '09).

B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 10:14 AM in response to katiev237

HI Katie,

Copying the contents of a cell containing a formula always copies the formula and the result.

You can then choose to Paste, which pastes the formula into the target cell and displays the result of the formula's recalculation from that location. (In your case, an error message.)

OR

You can choose Paste Formula Results (from the Edit menu), which pastes only the last calculated result of the formula. (In your case, the list of combined first and last names.)

Regards,

Barry

PS: If you want that list in Pages, but as a list , not as a table, do this:

Select the cells with the combined names in Numbers, Copy.

Click on the page in a Pages document. Go Edit (menu) > Paste Plain Text (Pages 5) or Paste and Match Style (Pages '09).

B

Copy and Paste Combined Data So Just Values Show

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.