Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie 8 not working with El Capitain

Problems

!. iMovie 8 has lost all still images (loaded from iPhoto) under El Capitain

2. iMovie 10 can not seem to import (file-->Import iMOvie ios) projects from iMovie 8

3 iMovie 10 cant import project media

I have reinstalled both OS and iMovie 10 twice but no effect.

iMovie 10 works perfectly with photos but seems incompatible with any events or projects made with iMovie 8

Is there a solution to these problems please?

10.1 iMac, 21.5", 3,3,2TB, *g RAM

El Capitain

iMovie 8 and 10

iPhoto and Photos

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:24 AM

17 replies

Feb 6, 2016 12:05 PM in response to moosbach4

1. From a number of other reports in this community it appears that still photos do not work when iMovie 8 or 9 are run under El Capitan. No practical workaround has been reported other than updating iMovie.

2. Compatibility with IOS projects was reintroduced in iMovie 10.1 but I would imagine the IOS iMovie version and IOS version would have to be recent. See: http://www.imore.com/how-move-imovie-project-your-iphone-or-ipad-your-mac for more details.

I'm not clear what you mean by "import (file-->Import iMOvie ios) projects from iMovie 8". iMovie 10 should recognise iMovie 8 and 9 projects and events folders in the mac Movies folder or at the root level of an external drive and offer to update them.

3. What format is the media and where is it stored?

Geoff.

Feb 7, 2016 4:40 AM in response to GeeD

Thank you for 1. They don't work with iMovie 10 either!

2. In iMovie 10 if I go to import either iMovie 8 projects or events they are 'dulled' on the screen and I can not click on them to import. The files are stored on the internal hard disk in my user file in movies (they have been in the same place since they were made with iMovie 8). They just will not be highlighted so I can choose one event or project to upload. As I said I tried re installing 10 but it did not make any difference.

In summary I can't use my old projects in 8 and I can't upload them to 10 (I chose not to do it when I first installed 10 because I wanted to see if I liked 10).

If 8 does not work in El Capitain, it's a good way to get people to buy 10! Problem is for me at least that does not work either!

Thank you.

Feb 8, 2016 10:30 AM in response to GeeD

Sadly it was a disaster!

I. It 'hung' after about half of the projects had uploaded and I had to force quit. I then tried to see what had happened to the files that had 'loaded' - they were all listed but everyone was empty and when clicked on nothing happened! None of the iMovie 8 projects or events had been processed.

2. Is there a limit to the number of projects iMovie 10 can handle. They were all OK in 8!

I tried removing the file where the process stopped converting but that made no difference and any way the process stopped in different places so it could not have been a damaged file.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The convert process clearly does not work for me from 8 to 10 so I just do not know where to go from now?

Sorry to bother you again

William

Feb 8, 2016 3:27 PM in response to moosbach4

Its difficult remotely to figure out what has happened but it looks like you have lots of events. There must be something that has blocked the update from completing.

Create a new iMovie 10 library. Rather than updating everything in one go what you could do is temporarily 'hide' most events and their corresponding projects from iMovie 10 by moving the corresponding folders out of the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders leaving just a few that want to try updating first. There will be a file at the top level of the projects and events folders with a name something like "updated to iMovie 10" which you will need to delete (they are put there by iMovie 10 to prevent multiple updates).

If this works OK you can remove the ones you have updated, put different projects into the Events and projects folders, remove the updated to iMovie 10 files again and go back to iMovie 10 and update these ... and so on.

Before you start though, make sure you make a back up of the iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders. You need to relaunch iMovie 10 after each change to the events and projects folders in order for it to see the change.

Best of luck!

Geoff.

PS there is not limit in iMovie 10 to the number of projects or events (only limited by required space).

Feb 10, 2016 4:16 AM in response to GeeD

I tried several things!

1. I booted from a 3TB external disk with at least 1.5TB free. It still did not work so I presume that it is not a problem relating to free space on the disk. It is a problem of iMovie 10 not being able to manage all the files?

2. I did as you suggested. There was a problem doing events and projects together because the projects took bits of events from various files so I had no idea which to try to update together.

3. I managed to upload all of the projects, in three sessions as you suggested. The computer did not 'hang' and all went well but all the projects were put into three files so I could not find any project easily without scanning through all the files to find it! I then tried to do the same for the events. They did not seem to link up correctly so all I seemed to get was a continuous file, with no breaks or titles again. I gave up.

4I tried to just upload one project whose events file I knew, both together, and when I tried to open the project it said that clip number ... was missing try to reload. This I managed but the iMovie 10 could not see it still although the images from iPhoto, which had been absent under iMovie 8 had now reappeared.

So in 8 I cant see the images and in 10 I cant see the clips and I cant load everything together so I think there is no solution to this mess.

WIlliam

Feb 10, 2016 5:27 PM in response to GeeD

Many clips in different projects were missing but the pictures were there!

I have managed to convert, if that is the right word, all the project and events files and the iMovie 10 Library now contains 950 GB and the iMovie theater 4,16GB because most of the uploaded files are not in the theater file. During the upload process there were several error messages saying that not all the files were compatible (with ? El Capitain or iMovie 10?) although I could find them in the iMovie 8 files and in iMovie 8 the clips were there but the images not!

I tried convertingit one file at a time but as I said I did not know all the event files for a particular project and those which had a single file in each section (project/event) ended up with missing clips which I could not get them to recognise although I reloaded the clip.

I just think that the conversion does not work properly either because of 10 or El C.?

I have reinstalled both the Os and iMovie 10 so unless there is a bug in the computer or more likely the applications I just cant get any further. It is a pity Apple does not read all these fora - they might write a fix if they knew.

There was a further problem with iMovie 10, the first time I opened it it hung, I forced quit and then opened it again and it worked. This alternating working and hanging seemed to persist during the entire process which I have been at all day!

In desperation,

William

Feb 11, 2016 6:38 AM in response to moosbach4

"I have reinstalled both the Os and iMovie 10 so unless there is a bug in the computer or more likely the applications I just cant get any further. It is a pity Apple does not read all these fora - they might write a fix if they knew."

I think that if there is really a bug in in updating from iMovie 8 to 10.1.1 there would be many reports by other posters. iMovie 10.1.1 should be stable under El Capitan. It's more likely that there is something in your system that is causing this behaviour. The usual way to find out if it is due to some third party software is to login with a guest account. See How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support for details.

Geoff.

Feb 15, 2016 9:08 AM in response to moosbach4

Well I tried! I logged in as a guest after having set up iMovie project and events files in Movies in the shared user file. I then put what were matching events and projects into these files. As a guest I opened iMovie 10 and then tried to update the projects and Events in the 'file' menu.

User uploaded file

It was unable to find four files, although they were fine in iMovie 8.

I continued and then looked for the missing files.

User uploaded file

THe missing files were dulled and could not be loaded.

iMovie it would appear can not update all iMovie 8 files!

It is impossible to get the projects and files updated it seems?

William

iMovie 8 not working with El Capitain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.