Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete backup from iTunes and get new password?

Got a new 6s and could not remember backup password in iTunes to restore. Can I delete this backup, backup my 5s again with a new password, then restore to my 6?

Thanks, Taryn

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 7:42 AM

12 replies

Feb 6, 2016 8:10 AM in response to tarynfromhimrod

Upon reading the article I linked to more carefully, I see that you don't have to delete the old back up. You would just need to restore the phone as new.

In your case, since it sounds as if you're trying to get information from your old phone to a new one, you're not going to be able to use a back up from the phone with the encrypted back. You may be able to restore the new phone from an iCloud back up of the old phone. You should also copy photos from the old phone to your computer, make sure that your contacts are synced to iCloud (or whatever service you use).

Feb 6, 2016 9:20 AM in response to tarynfromhimrod

Thanks to all of you!! One other question. My 5 intermittently started sounding like the buzzer at the end of a basketball game with incoming calls. Then the screen started working intermittently, thus the reason for the new 6. I got the 6 this Monday and last night it started the same buzzing. I got them both from Verizon and had them linked with Microsoft SYNC to use the bluetooth phone in the car. Are these bad phones or is Microsoft eating them???

Can I delete backup from iTunes and get new password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.