Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Small squares all over screen

My iMac 21.5" Mid-2011 (i5 2.7 GHz) has started exhibiting a strange behavior where small colored squares, about 1/8", appear all over the screen. They then proceed to dance around the screen as I continue to work on the computer. I've attached a screen shot. From searching the forums it appears others have this problem, but I am unable to find any threads that actually contain a fix. Any help would be very much appreciated!User uploaded file

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 8:06 AM

21 replies

Mar 4, 2016 12:42 PM in response to NT888

Same here, I have lived with this for two and a half years now. A couple months ago I did a complete tear down of my 2011 iMac and used a high end thermal paste on all the heat sinks and had some success for about a month then it started to come back. Since then the only thing I have been able to do to limit but not eliminate the problem has been to reduce the resolution of the screen. I suspect strongly it is a video card failure. Is there no solution??

Mar 5, 2016 7:52 AM in response to kindred5

I have also considered replacing the graphics card but decided to hold out because of the AHT saying everything is fine. I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and taking it in to the Apple Store today. It's almost unusable at this point. Freezes every few hours.

Out of curiosity, is anybody running dual monitors via the Thunderbolt port? I am, and am wondering if that is possibly stressing the relatively old graphics card?

Mar 15, 2016 6:09 PM in response to NT888

Unfortunately, your graphics card is going bad and there is no software solution for it.

If you are still under warranty or have AppleCare, take it to the Apple Store and have them replace your graphics card and/or the logic board.

If your machine is out of warranty, no AppleCare...you can still take it back to Apple or an authorized service center but they may charge you through the nose for replacement.

The cheapest/safest route is having the graphics chip reballed by a qualified BGA reball tech. (if you don't know what this is, look up BGA Reball on YouTube)

The cheapest/less safe route would be to heat your GPU chip with a heat gun or by baking it in the oven. There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to do this and you can get a GPU to work again using the heat method BUT it will just buy you a few months (if you're lucky) because when the GPU starts artifacting, there is something structurally wrong with the chip itself. Worst case scenario is you completely destroy the chip and/or damage your machine. Mileage varies a lot on this technique so beware.

Mar 5, 2016 1:38 PM in response to kindred5

Just dropped my iMac off at the local Apple Store. They did a limited amount of testing (not as much testing available for older models) and were pretty confident the graphics card is the culprit (echoing Eddie Jasmine). They are going to replace the card and get it back to me in 2-3 days. Total will be $175 ($135 for the card and $40 for labor) assuming replacing the card fixes the problem. I'll keep you all posted.

Small squares all over screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.