Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag RAW results in JPG.

I'm trying to keep my Photos app synced with my Aperture libraries. Basically I open the album in Aperture, select all and drag them into a new Photos album. This works, sort of, but all my RAW images show as JPGs. Going to Edit in Photos shows the "Use RAW as original" is grayed out.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2), 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 11:40 AM

When you drag from Aperture's Browser window you just add the JPEG previews to Photos, not the originals.

If you want to transfer the originals plus the edits to Photos, create an album from the photos you want to move to Photos and export this album as a new library. Then open this library in Photos and you will have the RAW files and the edits and all tags. But to merge the two libraries you would have to merge the libraries in iCloud. Opening libraries in turn as iCloud Photo lIbrary will merge the libraries in iCloud.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2016 11:40 AM in response to Sweejak

When you drag from Aperture's Browser window you just add the JPEG previews to Photos, not the originals.

If you want to transfer the originals plus the edits to Photos, create an album from the photos you want to move to Photos and export this album as a new library. Then open this library in Photos and you will have the RAW files and the edits and all tags. But to merge the two libraries you would have to merge the libraries in iCloud. Opening libraries in turn as iCloud Photo lIbrary will merge the libraries in iCloud.

Feb 6, 2016 12:12 PM in response to léonie

Ok, that worked. So, there is no way to get the photos from that newly created library into the main library as an album aside from using iCloud.

However it seems that PowerPhotos can do this migration but it's confusing and slow. I think my best option is to import into both Aperture and Photos separately? That doesn't sound very reasonable.

Anyway, to get rid of the newly created Photos library I can just throw it out, correct?

Feb 6, 2016 12:31 PM in response to Sweejak

Anyway, to get rid of the newly created Photos library I can just throw it out, correct?

Yes, you can.

PowerPhotos can merge libraries, but you can only migrate the originals or the edited versions. It will break the lossless workflow.

But with PowerPhotos you can easily browse severe libraries at the same time, without launching Photos. I am using it to avoid having to merge libraries.

Feb 6, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Sweejak

Did you import RAW&JPEG pairs or just RAW files?

If you imported RAW files without the JPEG, you will always see the edited file as a JPEG in Photos. Photos is rendering the edited photo from the RAW file but will not modify the original RAW version. If you edit a RAW file you can see the developed original RAW by holding down the "M" key while in Edit mode. The "M" key toggles between the original and the edited version.

Feb 6, 2016 1:06 PM in response to Sweejak

Sweejak wrote:

I imported RAW files, but when I go to Edit and press M there is no change.

That are the photos you merged into your main Photos library using PowerPhotos, right? As I said, PowerPhotos can only import the Raw or the edited version, but it cannot merge losslessly.

You should be seeing a difference in the exported Aperture Library, that you want to trash.

Feb 6, 2016 1:32 PM in response to Sweejak

So it is the merging that kills off my RAW files even though I can see them in both the exported Aperture library and also via PowerPhotos when I select show in Finder?

You would have to merge twice with PowerPhotos - once to merge the edited versions into the Photos Library, and once to merge the RAW files. But the edited versions and RAW files would no longer be paired.

would no longer be paired.

There is no optimal way.

Feb 6, 2016 1:40 PM in response to léonie

No optimal way. Sad indeed.

I can export the edited Aperture RAW as a TIFF, but it’s enormous at 75Megs.

I think my confusion is that I have hundreds of RAW photos that were successfully imported into Photos (And the M key works). Those RAWs were done when I imported my entire Aperture library into Photos. So the fact is that there is no way to replicate that process.

I'm tempted to delete my entire Photos Library and reimport my up to date Aperture library and then figure out some other way to keep them synced. Would that be a safe thing to do?

Like many others I live with the vanishing hope that Photos will eventually be a contender and so I'm foolishly putting off the day when I'm forced to move on. I'm not happy with most of the alternatives I've tried.

Feb 6, 2016 1:57 PM in response to Sweejak

I'm tempted to delete my entire Photos Library and reimport my up to date Aperture library and then figure out some other way to keep them synced. Would that be a safe thing to do?

Do you have done many edits in Photos and invested much work?

You can send your edited photos back from Photos to Aperture by using the Share menu "Share > Add to Aperture". Export the new RAW files as well and import them to Aperture.

And then migrate the Aperture Library again.

You can migrate and open an Aperture library in Photos, as you have done. There is just no good way to import additional libraries as a library, like we can do in Aperture.

Feb 6, 2016 2:03 PM in response to léonie

No, Photos is only on standby, a placeholder of sorts, just in case. So I haven't done many edits at all. Am I correct to say that the only way to import edited RAW files is to either do them individually (or perhaps as batches as tiffs) or trash the whole Photos library and import my Aperture lib. again?

Drag RAW results in JPG.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.