Related Article: Require a password for App Store and iTunes purchases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I use a budget from time to time with the Excel program. Some how I deleted while cleaning up my Finder files. Any idea how I can get it back . I dumped the trash.....

Is it possible to retrieve a file from trash after it's been dumped?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 6, 2016 9:16 AM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2016 9:29 AM in response to sal5651

If you have a rotating magnetic drive, there are third-party Utilities such as Data rescue available. Note: Data Rescue requires a different drive onto which to save the recovered files.

If you have an SSD drive, your files are GONE.

--------

If you do not have a Trusted Backup, you have made a conscious decision NOT to keep any of the files on your Mac permanently. It is only a matter of time before a major failure takes out everything. "Any Disk can fail at any Time."

The solution to this problem is to get an External drive about 2 to 3 times (or more) the size of what you would like to keep, and activate Time Machine (included on your Mac). This drive does not need to be fast -- USB-2 will suffice.

After the first very long Backup cycle, you will find that Time Machine works quietly in the background at low priority without interrupting your work, and it "just works" to backup files so that when you need a copy, it is there.

I use a budget from time to time with the Excel program. Some how I deleted while cleaning up my Finder files. Any idea how I can get it back . I dumped the trash.....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.